Codes 67 and 85

liquid_02

Sep 10, 2006
Well I converted my 87 GT to a 92 GT to start this off. Mods to the engine include a 73mm C&L MAF (took it off), Mac cold air kit (took it off), B303 cam and I think that may be it... Took off the charcoal canister and smog pump.

When I start my car, it runs like ABSOLUTE crap. When I first start it, it fluctuates between 500rpm (nearly stalling, can hear it gasping for air when it's about to) and roughly 1100rpm.. it somewhat stabilizes after about 45 seconds at stays roughly between 600 and 650, but the engine is still shaking pretty bad, worse than i'd expect from such a mild cam, which is why I think there may be more problems here.

I thought it was my 73mm C&L calib. for 24lb inj. when all I have is 19lbs, because it seems to run much better with the MAF disconnected (it actually stalled with the C&L). So I put my stock MAF housing back on, it doesn't stall anymore, but still runs like crap. Whenever I set the timing below 20, it seems to run even worse, below 10 and it stalls right away. Torques up fine.

I did the KOER test and no codes came up, did the KOEO test and I got two:

Code 67 is for the neutral switch (it's a 5-speed, doesn't have it) or A/C on (don't have a relay in for the A/C) ---- So I'm not really overly worried about this code

(pulled description for the one below off a website as I forgot what the exact description was)

85 2.3L T/C Automatic - 3/4-4/3 Shift solenoid -
CANP solenoid (ALL 1989) -
(M) 1.9L MFI - System has corrected rich condition -

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is it the charcoal canister that's causing my trouble? or do you think it's something else?

This has been fighting me for a long time now, and is stopping me from getting it to the body shop to get the body on the car :\

I actually have a video of it running if you want...

Oh yah, I have a 70mm Holley TB and 70mm BBK EGR spacer (stock intake, not ported)

• Sponsors (?)

Code 67 - clutch not depressed (5 speed) or car not in neutral or park (auto) or A/C in On position when codes where dumped. Possible neutral safety switch or wiring problem. This code may prevent you from running the Key On Engine On tests. You can generally ignore this code, since it has no effect on engine performance.

Code 85 - CANP solenoid - The Carbon Canister solenoid is inoperative. Check vacuum lines for leaks and cracks. Check electrical wiring for loose connections, damaged wiring and insulation. Check solenoid valve operation by grounding the gray/yellow wire to the solenoid and blowing through it.
The computer provides the ground for the solenoid. The red wire to the solenoid is always energized any time the ignition switch is in the run position.

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruse to provide some extra fuel.

It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?

Your CAI kit may cause problems with air turbulance around the MAF. Clocking the MAF meter may help.

The stock 55 MM MAF has an inlet screeen over the MAF intake. If your remove the screen, the MAF will not function properly. The screen helps smooth the airflow through the MAF meter.

See "Help me create the Surging Idle Checklist" at http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=534062
for help with your idle problems. The first post contains all the updates to the fixes. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.