Coil cutting question

• Sponsors (?)

Trust me here, cut one half coil and reinstall and check it. Drive it and let the springs seat in the spring pockets, and let the control arm bolts get back to a neutral position, and then cut no more than a quarter coil next time. Measure the ride height at all four corners before your start!!!!!!!

It is a real pain to do this in the front, the rear is easy.

I did exactly what you are asking about, cut the rears carefully, etc. Then, based on that experience, I guessed and cut 3/4 coil off the fronts, and it lowered the front a good 1/2 in more than I wanted to. These were 4 cyl springs, so v8 springs should not drop as much. Gonna put some new isolators on it someday to raise it.

Yes it alters the spring rate, etc, but if you cut with a wheel it should not hurt the springs. I am not sure cutting with a torch would really hurt, but it is not recommended.

It is less expensive, especially if you have several sets of springs as I do, and this is a track oriented car with most xtra weigh removed from the front.

Go slow and carefully, it should give you good results.

jaidedeye said:
dont cut em.......are you that cheap?

the strongest part of your spring is in the ends..... :nonono:
The car is show only.I have $100 bucks in chamelion paint on them so why buy new.Anyway i took out the upper and lower icolaters and it dropped 5/8.Im happy with the way it sits now.Thanks for the replies.....