Coil over kits

• Sponsors (?)

First of all, by track, do you mean road racing or drag? :D
I have mine set up for street/drag and put the X2C front coilover kit on my car and was happy with it, however it came with 14" 175lb coilover springs which was the lowest rate they had, and it drove really nice on the street, but the weight tranfer was less than the Eibach drag springs I had and I didn't really like it. I swapped the front out for 150lb springs, and it made a really big difference. If you want it for the strip, than I would order from some place that has the 150's to start with and go from there. They are easy enough to change that you could run a 175 or whatever on the street, and swap to a 130 or something on a track day if you wanted to fairly easily :nice: .

If you mean Road Racing then look into Griggs coil over kits. They use Koni shocks and struts and IMOP they are the best coil over kit available.
I have Griggs coil overs in all 4 corners and use Koni DAs in front and SA in the rear, I use 425 front springs and 225 rears to work with my torque arm.
Originally had planned to spend some time on the street thats why I went with those springs, but am upgrading for next season to a 475 front and 250 rear. I want to run Road America this year and will definatly want the stiffer springs for that track.

IOWA91LX- Are you going to the next mfba event there? I live right next to RA, and will probably be there, although I don't race, just go for ride alongs. :D I don't know how early you need to buy a spot, but they go pretty fast. :shrug:

MORFORD said:
IOWA91LX- Are you going to the next mfba event there? I live right next to RA, and will probably be there, although I don't race, just go for ride alongs. :D I don't know how early you need to buy a spot, but they go pretty fast. :shrug:

I dont know when I will make it down. The cars got some problems now and definatly will need to be attended to before going to Road America. I also have to find the money to take it to AFM and get the new engine dyno'd. Theres a local guy here from Des Moines that takes his 93 Cobra there with complete Maximum Motorsport suspension on it and I will probably follow him to the track, and then show him that that Griggs is superior on the track :D

Heres what I got emailed to me from a very knowledgeable guy on suspension coilover kits. It definatly let me decide that Griggs is the best.

"Griggs was the first company to offer a Torque arm and P-Rod for the
Mustang. They were also the first to offer a Tubular k-member and a front
coil over setup. They were also the first to offer a rear coil over setup.
To me they are the leaders in Mustang suspensions. Maximum Motorsports is a
me too company in my opinion. Most of MM parts are also heavier than Griggs
and rated for less HP.
I am a big fan of Koni which Griggs uses with their kit. MM uses Bilstein
which you don't see to much of in racing. In my experience it's either Koni
or Penske for the high end cars. Also The way the MM mounts the coil over
sleeve concerns me. If it is the way they explain it they groove the shock
body to accept a ring that the sleeve rides on. IMHO that does not sound
like the best plan. Also Griggs uses a Koni shock that is made to run coil
overs and they put a spherical bearing on one end which is very important
with the load a coil over sees."

I seem to recall that MM only uses the grooved body for the bilstein coilovers, not the koni's.

For all out racing, the koni DA's are hands down the better shock. The bilsteins compromise adjustability for their ride, lifetime warranty too!

You just have to decide which may better suit your needs.

Legendary: MM is great, call them and check out their website for more info. Their quality is right there with Griggs. Best customer service out of any automotive company I have yet to deal with as well.

edit: MM also offers coilover kits to fit almost all shocks out there, not just Bilstein. They have the tokico/koni as well.

N8Miller said:
yeah, im interested in this thread too. i want to set it up for the strip and have lots of mods, so i need to use it for traction.
N8MILLER....just curious my motor will be similar to yours, no suspension yet either....Have you dynoed your car or ran it yet? im just curious to see what kidna numbers you are producing... thanks