Coilover vs. strut/spring (size issue)

LXSTASY

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2000
Long Island, NY
Hey,
I bought the UPR tubular K, a-arms and coilover kit.
I have been researching and some people are saying that it might be hard to fit a 17x9 wheel on the front.
Is the coilover that much bigger and does it get in the way of the wheel?
I want to either put 17's or 18's on the car which have basically the same specs repectively(i.e.diameter, width, etc.)

I am just concerned if I will be able to run a 9 inch wheel in the front.

Any input is greatly appreciated before I buy wheels.

Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

LXSTASY said:
Thanks tunedin
I guess I can run them?
There are so many opinions and experiences.
I have the UPR kit so i am curious.

From my research I have heard some guys run them (18x9 and coilovers) without any issues of rubbing and other guys having to use a spacer. Of course there are so many variables to consider: 94-95 spindles vs. 96+ spindles, stock K member vs. aftermarket K member, stock control arms vs. aftermarket control arms, which coilover kit, and amount of negative camber each is running must be considered too. Let us know how you make out.

I have to look into what 5-lug conversion kit to go with then for max. clearance.

Any know which one is the best for clearance?

I'd love to get an 18x9 wheel in the front of my car with the tubular k-member.

LXSTASY said:
I'd love to get an 18x9 wheel in the front of my car with the tubular k-member.

:nonono: I did a lot of reasearch into the tubular k-member and was told by several techs at maximum to avoid it (for my situation: non-track car). A majority of the time it will widen the front track, additionally, it pushes the front wheels forward about an inch. Translation = fender mods to fit 18" wheels. Lastly, it sometimes requires exhaust, bellhousing, and driveshaft modifaction because it moves the engine back 1". I would do some serious research on this one before you do it.

I did some research and I know that the MM and QA1 kits move the engine back 1", but the UPR one from what I got from it does not. It retains the factory spot.

As for an 18" fitting I would assume if its the same height and width of a 17" (given that a 17" will work) there should be no problem.

This project is getting crazy now trying to make sure everything works.

tunedin302 said:
:nonono: I did a lot of reasearch into the tubular k-member and was told by several techs at maximum to avoid it (for my situation: non-track car). A majority of the time it will widen the front track, additionally, it pushes the front wheels forward about an inch. Translation = fender mods to fit 18" wheels. Lastly, it sometimes requires exhaust, bellhousing, and driveshaft modifaction because it moves the engine back 1". I would do some serious research on this one before you do it.

Thanks for that, i was just about to call them and talk about a k-member... I think ill spend my cash elsewhere

LXSTASY said:
I did some research and I know that the MM and QA1 kits move the engine back 1", but the UPR one from what I got from it does not. It retains the factory spot.

As for an 18" fitting I would assume if its the same height and width of a 17" (given that a 17" will work) there should be no problem.

This project is getting crazy now trying to make sure everything works.

If you move the engine back an 1" wouldn't that effect the exhaust? I am looking for a good kit as well but I do not want to change the engines location but do want more header clearance. Did you install the UPR kit yet?

Mike - I don't have the parts in yet but I need to find out about the tubular K as the motor is coming out to put the parts in. So thats the best time to get the k-member in.

Huey - The K-member is not in yet. From what I have researched and from calling UPR it should be the stock location for everything.

My questions have been to find out about if the wheels i want to put on will fit with the K-member.

LXSTASY said:
Mike - I don't have the parts in yet but I need to find out about the tubular K as the motor is coming out to put the parts in. So thats the best time to get the k-member in.

Cool. Let me know when its running. Fyi, QA1 K's have 2 slots for the motor mounts. 1 to move it back and 1 for stock. I assume UPR's copy cat stuff is the same. When you have the top end apart, maybe you can just hoist up the shortblock a little but w/o having to remove it. Kinda sucks pulling out a stock motor to put a stock motor back in lol. Unless you have tricks up your sleeve? :eek:

Grn92LX said:
Cool. Let me know when its running. Fyi, QA1 K's have 2 slots for the motor mounts. 1 to move it back and 1 for stock. I assume UPR's copy cat stuff is the same. When you have the top end apart, maybe you can just hoist up the shortblock a little but w/o having to remove it. Kinda sucks pulling out a stock motor to put a stock motor back in lol. Unless you have tricks up your sleeve? :eek:

Well the guy who is doing the work thinks it will be easier and same my fenders. Plus it gave me an excuse to get the tubular k I was thinking about. I was on the brink of insanity looking to do a 331 dart based motor when I first went there, but a new DD comes as a priority first before a $5k shortblock ready for a procharger. That T-bird has seen better days and had its share of miles (170,000+ as the odometer broke) so something new is in order.

Huey-
www.uprproducts.com and the phone number is on their website. Let me know if you call them what they say.

thehueypilot said:
Thanks for the Info! They said their coilovers will fit any original stock or OEM replacement struts. Is their system the same as QA1?

I don't know which system they copied.
But as Mike said there are two mounting spots. One is stock and the other moves it 1".

I just hope there is enough wheels clearance!!!:rolleyes:

thehueypilot said:
Have you received it yet and if so how is the quality or when you do get it let us know what you think?

I bought it at ATCO during an event. The quality seems good and it is light as a feather. Kinda makes me worry about its strength, but the welds look nice and it is a strong piece.

I ahve not got it in the car yet, but i will let you know when it is in.