Cold Air Indction Questions...

Fast_Mustang87

Aug 24, 2004
Illinois
I was lookin at some cold air inductions and i came across many styles and many brands. I saw a Mac straight shot for a 94-95 and i saw a Mac fenderwell cold air induction. Well i was wandering which one would give the most horsepower, And how much horsepower would it give me...Also i was wandering how much horsepower a Vortec mass air meter would give me along with a set of underdrive pulleys? Any comments would be helpfull!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

with the fender intake you get colder air, but might take on water (rare), with the straight shot you can usually use a bigger filter (more air), but its warmer, overall, its just what you want. have no experience with the other two

Well, bigger filter is able to flow more, but both kits flow twice as much as what the V6 can pull in. When moving, both pull in about the same temp air, and unless your driving in a VERY deep puddle, you shouldn't be pulling in water. Stock air box pulls in air from the same spot a fenderwell intake does. As with MAF, it doesn't need to be upgraded. A new MAF will lean out your car unless your ECU is calibrated for the difference. The MAF sends a voltage reading to the ECU, the ECU takes that voltage and the size of the stock MAF to figure how much air just went through, bigger MAF's give you smaller voltage so the ECU won't put enough fuel in. The stock MAF housing and throttle body all flow more than the stock heads and intake manifolds support, no point in upgrading the MAF or the TB until you port match the rest of the intake track.

Gains, the CAI alone doesn't give much, my 2000 dyno showed a few ft-lbs torque gains in the low end, then as it moved up, it was the same at the top as stock. Underdrive pullies have shown to give a good 6-8 rwhp 7-9 ft-lb gains.

Thanks for the help, How much would it cost to fully port and polish the heads and the upper and lower intake? and how much horse power would that give me combined, and how much would it cost me for both. This one shop wanted about 900$ to port and polish the heads

If that's for a fully ported setup, $900 is cheaper than the places online. You could get a good boost in horsepower, don't know the exact amount, but if you throw a cam in there with it, quick ~50rwhp increase, and more depending on how much porting you want and how wild of a cam you want.