"Cold Air Induction," how good/bad?

Michael Yount said:
Mavrick - we've all been saying it since the top of the thread - the stock airbox IS a real cold air kit. 25thMustang confirmed the same thing that the FordMuscle article did - no gains with CAI. And it's not just a stock motor issue - he's puttin' down 100 more HP, and 60 more ft-lb of torque than stock. I like the looks of a cold air set up on a Stang better than the stock box - but that's about the only reason to use it.

Ya, i knew that in the first place.. but i got a deal on this open under hood conical filtered CAI kit so i bought it... i wanted a normal K&N in the box but couldnt find a deal. Now im just going to buy the extra part made by UPR as well, that goes into the fenderwell for a stock-orbetter cold air induction type deal..

I just want it for the looks.. cleans up the engine bay real nice.. i didn't expect it to add any numbers.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

driftin4 said:
How did you control the environment on this test?

Hood open or closed?

How did you comp for the airflow that would be taking place across the front and wheel well of the car?

Any time you add an open element to a car it always feels faster because it sounds faster..

Okay this was on my dads car first off, which runs 12.3s @ 110...

The car was at the dyno, indoors. Both runs made with hood open, and the fan blowing on the front of the car. Both runs made back to back at the same temperature. The CAI was not fully mounted and was propped on the fender actually making it easier to get air, while the stock box was just mounted in its stock location...

The test was not a 100% accurate comparison, as we really just did it for fun, but we saw more of a gain turning off the alternator then the CAI made. I think for an uncontrolled comparison it showed me that the CAI does nothing. I just have it for looks!

25thmustang said:
We did a dyno on a cold air intake...

The Car: 1991 LX, GT-40Ps, Cobra intake, 70m, throttle body, 73mm mass air, 24 lb inj, roller rockers, shorties, prochamber, catback...

Before Mac fenderwell CAI: 282 rwhp/321 rwtq

After Mac Fenderwell CAI: 282 rwhp/ 321 rwtq

0 hp, 0 tq!
Those mods sound very much like what a Cobra motor has, except for the bigger TB and MAF, but that car is puting out 280hp? Is that at the flywheel? I'm assuming it wasn't since in another post you mentioned propping the filter on the fenderwell. Is that ALL thats done? I only put down 237hp at the wheels. What don't I have that he does? Will the bigger TB and MAF give me THAT much gain?

The reason he has the power is because the car is well thoughout and a heads up racing car. The heads have 1.84, 1.54 valves, with a valve job. The cam was retarded a couple degrees, and the car has been tuned.

For mods, Cobra intake, GT-40Ps (with what I listed above), 1.7 roller rockers, pulleys, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24 lb inj, shorties, prochamber, catback... Stock 85,000 mile bottem end.

Take your heads, mill them some aftermarket valves and a valve job, and retard the cam and the car could make 280 rwhp also!

The heads can be milled a bit, its all in valve train geometry, pistons and how much you want to pay for gas... lol. It will not affect the intake any, but will bump compression, which is why you cant just go crazy with it. I would say mill them down to about 56 or 58cc chambers, good valve job, and maybe some better valves, springs and roller rockers, if you dont have them.

CobraWannabe said:
Those mods sound very much like what a Cobra motor has, except for the bigger TB and MAF, but that car is puting out 280hp? Is that at the flywheel? I'm assuming it wasn't since in another post you mentioned propping the filter on the fenderwell. Is that ALL thats done? I only put down 237hp at the wheels. What don't I have that he does? Will the bigger TB and MAF give me THAT much gain?
Well My mods are are pretty close that set up and I am putting down 323 RWHP. You might want to check the tune on your car also get a custom burned chip and dyno tuned makes all the difference in the world. I picked up 36 hp after getting my dynotune and custom chip burned.

91 Stock 108,000 mile 5.0 motor with forged pistons
GT40P Heads Ported and Polished with 1.90 x 1.60 Valves and a .550 lift Spring Kit
1.6 Proform Roller Rockers
Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifold
Mac Cold Air Induction
TFS Stage 1 Camshaft
65mm TB
76mm MAS
24lb Injectors
Mac Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber and Mac Cat back Exhaust
MSD 6AL Ignition with MSD Billet Distributer
MSD 9mm Racing Spark Plug Wires
Iridium Plugs
Mac Underdrive Pullies
Art Carr Street Terminator Transmission with a 2600 Stall convertor
FRPP 3:73 rear gears with 31 spline axles, an Eaton 8.8 Differential
Custom Burned Diablo computer chip
255LPH Fuel Pump
Adj Fuel regulater
Set the timing to 16 degrees advance and the fuel to 37 PSI
Eibach Drag 90/10 shocks, FRPP Progressive rate springs
Eibach upper and lower control arms
Sub Frame connectors
QA1 Tubular K Member
Fiberglass hood with 1.5in cowl
Race Weight with driver is 3120

He didn't say you'd pick up 36HP, he said he did. Each combo's different. The further they are from optimum when first dyno'd, the better they do as you optimize them. How much you might pick up is a function of how close it is now -- and you don't know that until you work with the tuner. So there are no guarantees on how that's gonna work out.