Cold weather?

LilBerx

Jan 11, 2012
Logan, UT
Just curious to see how many of you live near cold weather... An if you drive your stang in the cold.

I live in Utah, and I drive 30 miles each way to the Idaho boarder for work.

The past 3 mornings have been freezing, at the warmest -10* we have been seeing -20*-30* weather. My car hates it'

• Sponsors (?)

I would think it would run great at that temp.... ???
When I lived in Minnesota, I parked up my LSx Z28 through the winter, however, I would sneak it out and play with it when the roads were clean and dry between snows, and it was GREAT! All that super cold air felt like it added 50hp to the car! The colder the better.

I would think it would run great at that temp.... ???
When I lived in Minnesota, I parked up my LSx Z28 through the winter, however, I would sneak it out and play with it when the roads were clean and dry between snows, and it was GREAT! All that super cold air felt like it added 50hp to the car! The colder the better.

my truck liked it down to about 10* after that it started to knock up top.

and also around that point it liked to get squirlly around between the 2-3 shift and put me sideways at around 100mph once.

Reactions: 1 user
Neither of my running Mustangs have tires or suspensions suitable for the winter traction conditions, so they get stored for the winter.

That said, in extreme cold, I'd be concerned about dissimilar metals. The Army up here uses a vehicle called a SUSV (tracked snow vehicle). It has a high-end Mercedes motor, with aluminum heads on a steel block. We were constantly cracking heads because the engines got uber-hot while running, and then when shut down they cooled at different rates. Metals do crazy stuff starting around -10, and get plain dangerous at -40. So does rubber.

At -25, a ball that is much the same as your average racketball (a broomball for you northerners) will shatter like glass. Hydraulic seals fail regularly at that temp.

So no, when it gets cold, the Mustangs stay tucked in all toasty-warm, and the Excursion gets to earn its keep.

Neither of my running Mustangs have tires or suspensions suitable for the winter traction conditions, so they get stored for the winter.

:D
I tried my Z28 a time or two during the winter before the roads were clean and dry, and it was impossible to get it moving from a stop with even the slightest dusting of snow on the road.

Just gutted my heater box this year. Very very rarely ever use heat, because I never drive the car unless it's nice out anyway. I do plan on getting an aftermarket defrost setup just for dealing with foggy windshield.

Just gutted my heater box this year. Very very rarely ever use heat, because I never drive the car unless it's nice out anyway. I do plan on getting an aftermarket defrost setup just for dealing with foggy windshield.
Any specific reason for doing away with the heater core?
My 87 had the heater core disconnected at the firewall since I bought it.
I never asked the PO why he bypassed it, but my guess would be it was leaking.
The tubes over the manifold have one hose in the rear, going from one tube back to the other.

I guess what I am wondering is how hard is it to replace a heater core?
I live in Florida, and the car is a rarely driver, not daily driver, so I could probably do without heat, but I'd like it to be right.

The tubes over the manifold have one hose in the rear, going from one tube back to the other.

I live in Florida, and the car is a rarely driver, not daily driver, so I could probably do without heat, but I'd like it to be right.
If you want to know how hard it is.. well its not HARD. It is time consuming. Considering you want to do it right I assume, knowing you. Nicest way is to remove the front seats, pull the console, drop the column, remove the box and replace it. 6-8 hrs if i remember correctly. I think the book time was like 10?

If you want to know how hard it is.. well its not HARD. It is time consuming. Considering you want to do it right I assume, knowing you. Nicest way is to remove the front seats, pull the console, drop the column, remove the box and replace it. 6-8 hrs if i remember correctly. I think the book time was like 10?
Wow!
That's alot of hours!
No wonder they didn't fix it. The PO was so cheap, they replaced the GT headlight switch with an LX switch to save half the money, so I don't have a foglight switch because of it.

Btw: Sorry to the OP for hi-jacking.
I went ahead and made my own thread, but Gearhead was already responding while I was posting it.

mine come out only if the roads are clean, usually the day after a rain and the deicer is washed away, otherwise they stay put up. I havent put more than 5 miles on either the 01 or the 91 in a month.

To be completely honest...i just got lazy. I even bought a header core, had the dash out, and just did not feel like putting all that crap back together. Plus like I said, I use defrost and heat less than 5 times a year, if that. I've already looked into aftermarket defrost/heater setups that I plan on mounting under the dash and using the factory duct to blow defrost...that's plenty for how and when I drive my car. As a bonus I can do away with the heater core hoses under the hood, which for a carbed car IMO look like crap, and I can't run the EFI style tubes because they get in the way of the fuel lines on my carb.

My '79 was like a Honey Badger that did not care. It just needed 4wd.

My fuel injected 91 is cold blooded. If it is below 50, it needs a warm up - or you'll hit something right as it dies on the way out the driveway. :oops:

I live in northern Wisconsin and in fact the windchill is currently -22 degrees. When I lived in Northern Minnesota the year I bought my Mustang one cold day -20 I believe it was, my 1988 beretta gt and 1988 grand prix both would not start. I tried my 1988 Mustang GT which had been sitting for months and it fired right up. complained a little bit at idle for about 10 seconds then off I went to work. When the roads are clear a 5.0 mustang is perfectly capable of below zero weather. that was 14 years ago and she is still running strong. And looks great in her new sonic blue paint IMO.