Cold Winter Exhaust Smoke*******

• Sponsors (?)

Is the smoke a "thick" smoke, as, does it stay in the air for longer than typical exhaust from other cars... are you using any antifreeze? More than likely its just condensation in the pipes... Does your car always smoke even at operating temp?

dustang90 said:
this is getting funny. I am so glad that I am not a worrier like this guy. Dude it is just hot exhaust coming out :rlaugh:

Oh heaven forbid someone post a question on a forum website. Dont waste space on this thread unless you have something productive to add.

dustang90 said:
this is getting funny. I am so glad that I am not a worrier like this guy. Dude it is just hot exhaust coming out :rlaugh:

Car blew headgasket and block cracked was smoking like hell, then I just got it back with new block, very high humidity and below freezing tempatures, car seems to be smoking alot I haven't seen it in this weather before so it's hard to tell....I see alot of newer cars showing smoking out exhaust around town but none nearly as much as mine, but then again I have long tubes and no cats and crap....Only had car back a day, I am gonna keep checking on the oil and anti-freeze.

There's a difference between smoke and condensation, at least the way I use the terms. Smoke is blue or black. Blue smoke means oil consumption. Black smoke means too rich a fuel mixture. Both linger -- have to disapate in the air. Condensation is white, just like fog - and just seems to evaporate. Also, if it's condensate, as you drive the car and the exhaust system warms up, there'll be much less of it. When engines burn gas, they produce large amounts of water vapor as part of the exhaust stream. When you crank up a cold car, the cold exhaust system acts like a big condenser - it condenses all of that vapor into water -- you've probably seen cars spitting water out the tail pipes before. That's the reason you see the trail of vapor out of tailpipes in the winter. Completely normal.

For cracked blocks/heads, blown headgaskets - coolant enters the cylinder and gets vaporized. Usually there's much more vapor, and it doesn't stop as the car warms up, and, you can usually smell antifreeze.

So - what color is the 'smoke'? Is it smoke or condensation? Does it smell like antifreeze?

MUSTANGJOE said:
Blowing lots of smoke is normal in cold weather. Normal!

blowing smoke is never normal. that is, unless your talking to a salesman and he's blowing it up your a$$, that happens all the time ;)

huskerpower02 said:
well just to clear things up, its not smoke for me. its just condensation or whatever one wants to call it. i just wanted to know why it was only coming out of one. but oh well.

-Drew

Drew, this is normal. it happens in times of low exhaust flow (like at idle) on dual exhaust systems with a crossover. it's because one side of the exhaust will always flow better (even if only slightly). as you step on it and the engine *needs* both those pipes it will flow relatively equally out of the two.

later

-steve

the big thing if you are worried about it, look at your antifreeze in the morning befoer you go to work, paint a mental picture of where it stands, or mark it.. now, in the morning about 3 or 4 days later, go back to your radiator, look, and if it is below where you thought it was or below them mark, you probably have a problem.. If antifreeze stays the same..... You have no problem

sleeper89 said:
blowing smoke is never normal. that is, unless your talking to a salesman and he's blowing it up your a$$, that happens all the time ;)

Drew, this is normal. it happens in times of low exhaust flow (like at idle) on dual exhaust systems with a crossover. it's because one side of the exhaust will always flow better (even if only slightly). as you step on it and the engine *needs* both those pipes it will flow relatively equally out of the two.

later

-steve

Exactly what i was needing to hear. I was thinking the same thing but i wanted to hear someone else say this too. Steve, thanks for answering my question.

-Drew