Common leaks for power steering

islandcreation

Feb 11, 2007
Okay, here's the situation. I started my car and it was back to "No" power steering. I had to power steering fluid and decided to drive the car to the autoshop to get steering fluid. I filled it up and the car was back to normal with little whine in the beginning. After stopping at a store the car had a trail of power steering fluid :mad: :mad: :mad: After a mile and a turn the car sounded HORRIBLE in turns especially going back to my parking space at 5 mph!

My question is what parts a prone to leak? I just want to get ready to look for what you tell me. And are any of the hoses hard to get? Meaning, will they be available at a local shop? Any pointers for installing or taking off items? And can anyone tell me if I destroyed the pump by driving it with no fluid? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt you wrecked your power steering pump unless it was already worn to begin with. Once upon a time, it took about a month of driving without fluid to wreck my pump. I just didn't have the time, money or inclination to fix it. The car has had manual steering ever since. Mostly, it lost fluid because the pressure line kept falling against the headers, cracking and spewing. I blew 3 and gave up because I was steering the car fine without it.

My other car has power steering and hasn't had much trouble. I only had to tighten the return line once and replace the orginal ram. Slide under the car and see where the fluid is coming from. Hoses are pretty easy to replace so long as you do them in the order of what it says in any Haynes, Chilton or shop manual.

I doubt you wrecked your power steering pump unless it was already worn to begin with. Once upon a time, it took about a month of driving without fluid to wreck my pump. I just didn't have the time, money or inclination to fix it. The car has had manual steering ever since. Mostly, it lost fluid because the pressure line kept falling against the headers, cracking and spewing. I blew 3 and gave up because I was steering the car fine without it.

My other car has power steering and hasn't had much trouble. I only had to tighten the return line once and replace the orginal ram. Slide under the car and see where the fluid is coming from. Hoses are pretty easy to replace so long as you do them in the order of what it says in any Haynes, Chilton or shop manual.

Toolwench,

Can you pretty much get the hoses from any autoshop (pep boys, autozone, kragen)? Just want to be prepared before I begin this fix... And does the order of replacing the hoses really matter too? Thanks for your help.

If you are installing new hoses, replace the aluminum hose seats in the valve housing and cylinder. The seats are usually grooved up from having the fittings tightened down too hard or improperly, and even new hoses won't seal on damaged seats. A lot of rebuilders do not replace the seats, so even a store bought rebuild may have damaged seats in it.

If you are installing new hoses, replace the aluminum hose seats in the valve housing and cylinder. The seats are usually grooved up from having the fittings tightened down too hard or improperly, and even new hoses won't seal on damaged seats. A lot of rebuilders do not replace the seats, so even a store bought rebuild may have damaged seats in it.

Stanger53,

When I do replace the seats and the hoses will my local shop have everything in stock? Just want to know before taking off the hoses and finding out they don't! Thanks for the advice. Do you know what are common leaks for a 1967 mustang coupe automatic, pb and ps?

islandcreation said:
Can you pretty much get the hoses from any autoshop (pep boys, autozone, kragen)? Just want to be prepared before I begin this fix... And does the order of replacing the hoses really matter too? Thanks for your help.

As was earlier said, you might have to order them, but in most cases, I went to (pep boys, autozone, kragen) and got them without any trouble. That was about 7 years ago, so things might've changed.

As for the order... You'll see as you're taking them off. If you don't put them back on in the same order, you can't get the wrench in there to tighten them up. At least that's what happened the very first time I replaced my hoses. They were all cracked and probably either original or close to it. When I was putting them back on, I was in a hurry and not paying attention and I had to start over on the ones on the ram.

Stanger53,
Do you know what are common leaks for a 1967 mustang coupe automatic, pb and ps?

The PS system can leak from numerous locations over time. Including - PS pump housing, pump connections, all ps lines (probably more towards the high pressure lines), control valve, and power ram.

Some of these can be replaced easily, some can be rebuilt, and some can be purchased new through early Mustang dealers.

The PS system can leak from numerous locations over time. Including - PS pump housing, pump connections, all ps lines (probably more towards the high pressure lines), control valve, and power ram.

Some of these can be replaced easily, some can be rebuilt, and some can be purchased new through early Mustang dealers.

Okay, I just went under and filled the resvoir with fluid and checked to see where the leak is coming from. I tightened both areas where it was leaking. Unfortunetly, I don't have any fluid and its getting dark since I don't have a garage. It sure was a pain in the A$$ to get my hands in there. I mine as well do an oil change to makes things easier since the oil filter was in the way (Power steering, Power brakes and automatic). My goal is to stop the leak to drops so I can take it to the dealership where my buddies going to do all the work ($15 an hour isn't too bad under the table). I'd want to do it myself but in a carport with a HOA and getting fined isn't part of plan! Even though I do want to do it myself since I already figured out the problem. I might if I really feel the need to be hands on this weekend, plus pends on the weather.

I just looked at my Chilton manuel looking for a section and diagram of a power steering pump and "NOTHING"? Am I stupid or does this book not cover steering pumps? I wanted to know where each of these hoses lead to and what the functions were for each one (I'm new to muscle cars but had a rice burner since I was in college and fixed it up myself). And can anyone refer me to when one states replacing the "seats" picture? Thanks for all the help.

If your 1967 Mustang is a 289, there are four hoses on the steering system.

The pressure hose connects to the male fitting on the center back of the pump and goes to the control valve. It is the smallest fitting port on the housing.

The return hose connects to the small tube on the lower back of the pump (slip-on with a hose clamp) and connects to the control valve (the largest fitting on the valve).

There are no hose seats on the 1967 style pump.

There are two short hoses that go from the control valve to the power cylinder; one moves fluid to extend the cylinder, one collapses it.

Inside all four port holes on the control valve, and where the two hoses go into the cylinder, there are tapered aluminum seats that seal against the flared end of the hoses. These seats are often grooved and distorted from being improperly tightened and being over torqued. Many rebuilders do not even change them out, but leave the old damaged seats in place.

There is probably no mention obout seat replacement in a Chiltons. There is very little mentioned in the Ford shop manual about replacing them, and Fords method or removing the old seats and installing the new ones is stupid and will cause you to damage the seats and shed metal flakes into the control valve.

You can see the seats and read more about them here http://www.stangerssite.com/CanIControlValve.html

Just got done being unde the stang for 5 hours! Replaced the return hose and saw 2 cracks due to being near the manifold. Changed my oil and tried to bleed my brakes and couldn't budge the bolt to bleed! I followed the Chilton book manuel for bleeding the Master cylinder.... Disconnect the two lines from the cyclinder take out fluid, replace fluid and pump 10-15 times. Connect everything then bleed rest of the system. My brakes are now jello and can't stop worth nothing!
Comes the true test (replacing the return line since it was leaking)! I filled the power steering with fluid and began turning the wheel nothing!:D :D :D Then I started to test the brakes going back and forth not even 1 MPH and it barely stopped. Then looked under one more time for leaks and a small leak was present :mad: :mad: :mad: I give up! :mad: If anyone can pump me up or give me better advice I'd apprecaiate it. With everything that I did I could have got stuff done around the house! Atleast I can pin point my problem!

I hear ya there - sometimes it just goes down like that with an old car. Just gotta step back some times and clear your head.

Hit up the search on here and you'll find a bunch of threads on bleeding brakes - usually a two person job.

Double-check the flare fittings at the leak - make sure they aren't nicked up any - that'll leak in a heartbeat.

Wes

I hear ya there - sometimes it just goes down like that with an old car. Just gotta step back some times and clear your head.

Hit up the search on here and you'll find a bunch of threads on bleeding brakes - usually a two person job.

Double-check the flare fittings at the leak - make sure they aren't nicked up any - that'll leak in a heartbeat.

Wes

Thanks Wes....

I was going to bleed the brakes with a vacuum setup but ran over the fluid holder since I was excitied to see if replacing hose stopped the leak. :bang: So I have to make a new fluid holder sinceI have the pump and hoses. I feel like I wasted my time and would have paid someone since I was in a carport with the car jacked up! Not really the typical setup for working on a classic! But I want to save money!T

I feel like I wasted my time and would have paid someone since I was in a carport with the car jacked up! Not really the typical setup for working on a classic! But I want to save money!T

408959510_6914505bd4.jpg

Hey man working under the carport w/ the car in the air is half the fun. :) Having a car lift is for weenies. The pic above is what I did a couple weekends ago... :rlaugh:

I love working on cars but I am right with you on the frustration - it is just part of the game. Luckily just about every single thing on these cars is serviceable with simple tools and a decent shop manual. Sometimes you just gotta step back and take a breath - especially when a couple things go wrong at once.

Good luck with it all!

Wes

EDIT: P.S. I just got done fixing a powersteering leak on my Mach 1 - I know how much those can suck!!!

Attachments

• 408959510_6914505bd4.jpg
    408959510_6914505bd4.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 424
Just remember leaking fluid is way better than leaking vacuum... You can see the fluid, so you know where you gotta fix it!

Whenever I worked on my car in the carport and needed to bleed the brakes, there was always some unsuspecting guy walking around whom I'd lure with the classic and then say, "Hey, can you help me bleed the brakes? Get in!" I suppose being a chick did help the luring a little bit, but so many people think classics are cool and want to help. And bleeding brakes doesn't require them to know how to work on a car. I didn't have the luxury of a pressure bleed system.

Keep at it. Next time you're at a light and someone says, "Hey, nice car!" You'll be glad for all the work you put in it because it's YOUR car, your achievement and you deserve every last compliment, not the guy you paid to do it for you.

Just remember leaking fluid is way better than leaking vacuum... You can see the fluid, so you know where you gotta fix it!

Whenever I worked on my car in the carport and needed to bleed the brakes, there was always some unsuspecting guy walking around whom I'd lure with the classic and then say, "Hey, can you help me bleed the brakes? Get in!" I suppose being a chick did help the luring a little bit, but so many people think classics are cool and want to help. And bleeding brakes doesn't require them to know how to work on a car. I didn't have the luxury of a pressure bleed system.

Keep at it. Next time you're at a light and someone says, "Hey, nice car!" You'll be glad for all the work you put in it because it's YOUR car, your achievement and you deserve every last compliment, not the guy you paid to do it for you.

Thanks for all of the encouragement! Wes, I live in a Condo with HOA and in the rules is "Mechanical work is forbidden of premises"! In other words a fine can be applied if someone wanted to be an A$$! Plus, it doesn't help having a trail of power steering fluid come from the main road and in the complex into my space! I was just looking at that today and thought "What a mess"! I'd love to do the work if I had a garage or even my own drive way! If I had my own garage I'd be under there right now rather than typing away looking at mustang sites! I guess I am 1 for 3 in getting things done. Even though it was a simple oil change I did it right! Oh and I did change one hose ha,ha,ha