Completely Dumbfounded. Someone get me a DUNCE cap.

Anyone following knows that I had a problem with the head job done by my local machine shop. I rectified the problem with the correct valve and have 135~140 on all 8. Car is running smooth (or so I thought). Had about 300 miles since then and was 25 miles from the house. Getting on the freeway I went WOT. First and second gear okay then third at 55 then I saw a bunch of smoke behind the car. Hit fourth gear at 75, feathered the throttle then hit it again. More smoke and overheating. Got to the house and had to add 2 qts of oil and over a gallon of water.

Oil seems to be gushing out of the valve covers (could be intake manifold at the back). Otherwise the engine bay is clean. No oil in the water and no water in the oil. I have driven another 350 miles with no problem.
Then today I went WOT again and here comes the smoke AGAIN. More oil and water to add.

ANY IDEAS???? :shrug: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

piston rings? Usually when there is smoke when you hit the gas, it denotes something wrong with the rings. However, if you have oil on the engine, the smoke you see might not be coming out of your tailpipes, it might be burning on your engine and creating smoke.

As for the fluid.....i dunno. You could remove all the spark plugs and keep bumping the engine over and see if any fluid comes out.

probably have a bad rear end seal on the intake (or not enough silicone) and the overheating could be caused by lack of oil, also the lower radiator hose could be collapsing causing the overheat as well, just a couple things to check

Do you have a "closed" crankcase ventilation setup? You have a pcv valve hooked up to the manifold vacuum source I assume, and do you have another hose from the opposite valve cover to the air cleaner? The pcv valve will suck air from the crankcase and the other opposite side hose should allow air into the other valve cover, thereby reducing crankcase pressure and helping the piston rings to seal better. Although that much oil loss and especially water loss is something to worry about. Good luck.

I Would do a leak down test and see if you can find the location of the leak. Does the car overheat any other time or just when you are pushing it hard on the freeway ?? blowing out 2 quarts of oil at a time is a big leak and should not be hard to find. Is the smoke actually comming from inside the pipe or is it burn off smoke from the leak ?? If its comming from inside the pipes, you got some problems in side the engine, rings, bad valve seals ect ect. Just start the with the basics and work your way to the worst case and you will find the leak.

Assuming that your radiator hoses are not collapsing, and that your head gaskets are on the correct way, I would just make sure that you don't have an unmetered air leak on your intake. That would heat it up fast as hell and take about as long as you're saying when you get to third gear, and the fact that at WOT it happens. Maybe an old cap on a vaccuum line thats getting dry rotted or something, or a vaccuum line itself. Overheat, and lose all of your coolant. The oil could be due to some leak that only shows up at the higher pressure at high revs. Strange, for sure, good luck!