Compression Test Numbers

mattd39

Dec 27, 2015
Hey Guys,

This is my first post here and I needed help with my 95 V6.

I think my rings are shot given the wet test numbers. Please provide you thoughts.

Wet Dry Cylinder Dry Wet
180 151 3 6 159 170
180 150 2 5 155 160
180 155 1 4 148 170

EDIT: I can't format the above numbers properly so I hope everyone understands squished numbers. Cylinder numbers are single digit and in the middle.

• Sponsors (?)

It looks OK to me. The ideal is no more than 10% difference between the highest and lowest reading cylinders.

The spread between dry and wet indicates that the pistions and rings are getting a bit worn. Depending on what your plans are for the car, a rebuilt short block may be in the future. It all depends on how much the car is driven and how it is driven. If this car is a weekend cruiser, it will go a long time. If it is a daily driver, the repair cycle will depend on how much oil it burns. Oil consumption down around 1 qt. per 500 miles with no visible leaks generally means it is time for a short block or remanufactured engine. Again, watch the oil consumption with an engine that does not leak oil.

Thanks for the feedback.

Some background on why I did the test; I had my car tuned about 10 years ago and immediately after I had issues with overheating and gas in the oil. I never had to deal with those issues cause the car went into storage shortly after and I recently started driving the car again. I checked the fuel pressure and it holds so it's not a leaky injector.

My guess is could still be tuning issue either too much fuel at start up or cam timing off.