Continued Shaker 500 "B" unit problems >

The "A" Shaker 500 unit in my 05 Mustang GT was replaced a month ago with the improved "B" unit. While the problems have decreased by about 50%, the skipping, missing, early cut, and other problems are still there. I only use factory new CD's, I do not burn my own. Is anyone else still having problems or have the come out with a "C" unit yet? Any info greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Tell me it ain't so! I'm getting ready to take mine in for the struts, skanker 500 and fuel tank problem. I have been waiting to take her in until they really have figured out viable solutions to fix the above listed problems (plus I am having trouble parting with my car). Now I have heard fuel tank B is ok, Shaker B is ? and any feadback on the struts?

05 Stangster, also had the fuel tank replaced at the same time as the Shaker unit. The gas tank/handle has only shut off once and wouldn't fill normally since the exchange. I turned the handle upside down and it worked ok. However this was when the car was also below 1/4 tank which is far below where I usually fill the car up at. This is at the same station, same pump that it has worked well with every fill since... so I think they got the tank thing worked out 99%.......

...mine came with version B of the shaker 1000. So far it plays store bought cds just fine, but I do get the occasional skipping with burnt cds...

I sold my GM cars knowing I was buying a Ford (a brand new design too)... I'll just wait to see if they find a fix for it... but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a B unit Shaker 500 in my car and I have had it skip on both burnt and bought CD's about 20 or so times in 2500 miles. The unit just the other day decided to lock up also. It was totally unresponsive to any of the buttons or volume. The display showed it was trying to play a CD, but I had to turn the car off three or four to get it back. Not sure if that was what did it, it reset itself, or a combination of all the buttons I was pushing got the thing to work again. :bang: Anyway, I am going to have the dealer take a look at it when I take it in next. Then I am going to replace it with an aftermarket.

Just might leave well enough alone

My Skipper 1000 "A" actually plays pretty good. Sure there is the occasional skip, and every now and then it's in a hurry to get to the next song. After reading this thread I don't want to take time from work and drive 700 miles to Germany only ot end up with a worst Skipper than the one I have. I'm going to hold out for the "C" should there be such a thing and if not then I'll replace it an aftermarket unit. The gas tank is getting changed, and I'm not to worried about the struts because that and the springs will be replaced.

My car came with the Shaker 500 "B" unit and until recently worked flawlessly. It skips quite a bit now. I am just going to wait and see if there is a new one to replace this one.

how do you know if it is a "a" or "b" ?i know that my car was built in 10/04 so it is the early model, but how do you know if the dealer is actually installing the "b" unit? by the way, mine doesnt skip.

Old School 77 said:
Could one of you post the sequence for obtaining the Shaker version. I had it and lost it.
Thanks
Steve
With the radio on, you hold down the "3" and "6" preset buttons simultaneously. It will run static to each of the speakers, and when that is finished it will display some numbers. The last character of the display is either an "A" or a "B", and that will tell you which version you have.

RetiredGeneral said:
I sold my GM cars knowing I was buying a Ford (a brand new design too)... I'll just wait to see if they find a fix for it... but I'm not holding my breath.

You just hit the core of the problem.

The old Mach 460 systems which were pretty much problem free were built by Visteon, Ford's parts spin-off.

The Shaker 500 & Shaker 1000 are built by Delphi, GM's spun off parts buisness. So until Ford changes vendors, I guess we'll have to live with the Delphi - Shaker problems.

BradC said:
With the radio on, you hold down the "3" and "6" preset buttons simultaneously. It will run static to each of the speakers, and when that is finished it will display some numbers. The last character of the display is either an "A" or a "B", and that will tell you which version you have.
i did that on mine, it gave this code:
4r3t18c815gg
obviously not an a or b
oh yeah, and you have to have it on radio, wont do it with a cd.

bigcat said:
i did that on mine, it gave this code:
4r3t18c815gg
obviously not an a or b
oh yeah, and you have to have it on radio, wont do it with a cd.

Oh no - you have the dreaded "g" series, which makes the skipping problems with the "a" series seem like nothing! ;)

No, I had the "g" series, which skipped, and had it replaced with a "remanufactured" a series. This one is even worse, and will have to be replaced again.

Quite franky, the CD player is the worst thing about this car, it sucks. Compare it to something you'd find in, say, an Acura RSX, and the quality is just not there. :notnice: