Converible Roof Problems

Received my '05 vert last Thursday. The only problem so far has been the operation of the roof.

When I put the roof down I have to get out and push it the final inch or two. Putting the roof up is an ever bigger chore. When I put the roof up, someone has to physically start the "up" process. It takes only a gentle nudge but withoiut it, the roof will not raise. More bothersome is trying to latch the hood. It is simply not a 1 person job. When the roof reaches the windshield latch area it stops about 2 inches short. Pulling down works to get the roof to the windshield area but not enough to get the pin into the hole. For that I have to get assistance from a bystander. The only way to get the roof to a position where it can be latched is for me to push forward with everything I can give 'er, and for a bystander to put tremendous weight on the roof front from the outside.

My dealer (Waterloo Ford in Edmonton) was by far the best dealer I have ever dealt with. They told me that the roof will be tight for a while until it stretches a bit. They also told me to bring the car in if I have any problems. I would rather not bring it in just yet as we are experience unseasonably warm temps, just perfect for top down driving.

Anyone else experiencing this and if so, is there an easy (non-dealer) fix? By the way, I am by no means an example of strength and fitness but I am also not a trout-shouldered, budgie-chested, pencil-neck specimen either!!

Cheers All

• Sponsors (?)

I have not had any of the issues you mention with my convertible. I got it with 6 miles on it and 2 of those were from my test drive, so I hardly think it was stretched or "broken in" in any way. Now one thing I do notice is with the top down, it does not drop down as far as you might expect it to. I wonder if you manually pushing it down further than it goes automatically is causing the misalignment problems you are having when trying to put it back up. :shrug:

One way or another, I hope you get your problems resolved. Best of luck.

I've owned 2 convertibles in my life, a 1968 Mustang and a 1975 Caddillac. In both cases the convertible top stops 2 inches short of closed due to the tightness of the top, and you must manually pull it down to latch it. In the case of the Caddy, it took some muscle.

Now I'm sure that modern convertibles, especially the higher end ones, might work better, but on the issue of closing a top, I don't see anything wrong here.

BUT, if the motor won't lift the top on its own until you puch the top up, that's just plain wrong.

My top closes tight enough against the windshield that I don't need to pull on it to latch it. At least on a flat surface. If I'm parked in my driveway, which is on an incline, then I get maybe 1/2 inch gap, but a minor tug on the top closes it to the point where the handles latch with minimal effort.

I have the same problem closing the last 2 inches and the driver's roller was actually broken and missing (on order via due-bill), so someone who demoe'd the car before I picked it up had issues as well. I have found success in partly opening the roof a couple times (perhaps it is streatching it) and pulling on the handle while keeping the switch pressed, then using my left hand to pull the driver's side pin into its guide. Dealer claims this is not right and will adjust it when the part comes in. This is my first Vert so I did not know it was NOT supposed to be so difficult. My friend's M3 Vert latches itself! - but then I'm a good $30 ahead of him ;-)