Convertible as a year round DD?

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
So I've been looking at houses recently, and I've realized that I don't think I can afford a house/apartment with a $340 a month car payment. So Im thinking about trading in my Mazda for a cheap Mustang(under $7k). I'd like to get a vert, but Im not sure how it would be in winter. Does anybody here drive their vert year round? Any problems from driving it in the winter?

Also, if anybody's interested in selling their convertible, let me know :D. Only requirements are that it must be a 5-speed GT and NO tan interior.

• Sponsors (?)

I had mine out of storage late january this year (good weather only), and besides having no traction on bald tires and cold pavement, I had no issues. It was like driving a regular coupe, no top leaks or annoying fogging of any windows. Plus the engine heats up fast enough to get heat out the vents in a matter of minutes, even on the coldest of days. The leather can get damn cold and freeze you azz, but thats to be expected with any car having a leather interior. I'm very happy I went with a convertible.

I use mine for 50% of my winter driving, it stays home on the bad days. Those I take the truck on JIC (4wd)... Other than your usual issues with high perfomance tires getting hard and needing to be careful it is not much worse than any other RWD short wheelbase overpowered vehicle in the bad weather...

Seriously. If you are going to do it get dedicated tires. I almost looped mine on a 20' morning because the tires were so hard and I wasn't pushing it at all!!!!

I drove my current stang through one winter so I know all about the issues of driving a stang in winter. And honestly, my stang went better in the snow than any of my trucks I've owned(in 2wd only). I just need to know if there's any adverse effects from driving a convertible in the winter.

Synned said:
Drive mine year round, its fine.
What would be the difference between a coupe and a vert in the winter? Leakage? I dont have any over here.

Im worried about leaks or if maybe it's extra wear and tear on the top, or if it's too cold or something. Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about tho :)

If you're used to a really nice winter ride, it might feel a little crude when the car has snow piled up on it. :shrug:

I daily drove a Euro vert for 10 years (only car) but I was young and didnt realize how much more comfortable I coulda' been (that was more about the car itself, and not being a vert).

I think it would be fine. I'd take any car you consider to the car wash (with the owner's permission) and hose it down real good and look for interior leaks.

You can always unload the vert in the Spring if you drive it a winter and hate it.

Good luck.

To me any winter vehicle is only as good as it's tires. You put summer rated tires on ANY vehicle and it'll be handful in the snow. Nature of the beast.

As far as a vert in the snow. Usually it's the back window that sucks to see out of. If you can live without that, and the fact it'll be can a bit harder to keep warm zipping down the highway in 0 degree weather, it shouldn't be too bad. The curse will be the modding..... gets tough after a while.

My car isn't a vert, but it was my only car for years. Couple of winters were bad. I was passed by civics on the road as I couldn't do much but idle in each gear or risk turning the car around. Especially on bridges down here.

How much long distance driving do you do in the winter?

stang_snow.jpg

Attachments

• stang_snow.jpg
    stang_snow.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 56
I hate all of you who have 2 cars.

I drive my Vert in the winter.

I have brand new snow tires (Blizzacks WS50's) in the f**king laundry room.

I did not put them on at all. IT SNOWED 3 TIMES. My GSD3's took a punishing. I don't care though, I wasn't putting my ugly ass tri-bars on again. Hell no. Never. Ever. I need rims for the snow tires, I'm that anal.

Anyways, the top doesn't take much wear and tear. Mine is new with the exception of a "keyed" mark - WTF keys a top? Who knows. No big leaks or what not.

So your problems really come down to snow tires and salt wear on the paintjob. If you're not lazy like I am you'll wash it once a week in the winter. LOL.

gcomfx.com said:
How much long distance driving do you do in the winter?

Well I drive at least 50 miles a day going to work and back, but I would like to move somewhere closer to cut that distance in half at least.

As far as mods go, it'll be nothing but bolt ons for a while. Possibly a mild H/C/I later on...

:D

snow.jpg

mine has been a daily driver for 5 years now, no problems at all. i try to stay off the streets though if the snow is over a couple of inches.

i am considering selling it ... i have my eye on a 99-02 cobra that i can strap a kb on ... i'd be looking for $13K blower and typhoon intake included ... let me know

BlackVert said:
mine has been a daily driver for 5 years now, no problems at all. i try to stay off the streets though if the snow is over a couple of inches.

i am considering selling it ... i have my eye on a 99-02 cobra that i can strap a kb on ... i'd be looking for $13K blower and typhoon intake included ... let me know

Im looking to get out of debt so $13k won't work for me. Thanks for the offer tho. :)

Depends on how bad you want it. I would say no if you live in a snow state and because of gas prices going HIGHEr AAAAAAAAAAAAACCKKK!!!!

BTW dude, you and one other guy have the BEST looking sn95's I have ever seen to date. The other guy's car is all black and no rear wing with 18"s I think but I don't remember his handle. Every time I see those two cars, I am in awe!! Good luck!