Convertible top

Catsup

May 9, 2005
This is more cosmetic than technical, but I'm a newbie so tell me if I posted in the wrong spot.

I have a '97 GT convertible and I'm getting what I thought was puncture or pinch damage on the vinyl behind the rear windows. I thought the folding mechanism was pinching it but now I just think it's being creased too sharply when it folds. Is there any way to repair this damage and then prevent it from recurring?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Catsup said:
This is more cosmetic than technical, but I'm a newbie so tell me if I posted in the wrong spot.

I have a '97 GT convertible and I'm getting what I thought was puncture or pinch damage on the vinyl behind the rear windows. I thought the folding mechanism was pinching it but now I just think it's being creased too sharply when it folds. Is there any way to repair this damage and then prevent it from recurring?

Thanks!

happened on both sides of mine too...subscribing..

Some key things to remember when maintaining your top:
-never lower it when wet
-never lower it when super hot (been in direct sun for a while)
-never, EVER lower it when cold (below 65F)
-never leave it down in the garage over night
-use Robbins vinyl top cleaner for vinyl
-use Robbins canvas top cleaner for canvas
-never get the high pressure spray wand too close to a vinyl top :(

Once a top has any problems whatsoever, a trim shop will tell you that the whole top must be replaced. I have to agree with them on that.

However, you can get a new top from http://www.convertibletopguys.com/ for $289 and it comes with installation instructions. You can get TWO tops off the internet for less than most trim shops will charge to install one and use one as a practice if you feel that it might be too hard... If you don't screw up the first one, keep the second as a spare. If you do screw up the first one you still have the second.

WLD_WST said:
I'd have disagree with that statement, I've had mine for 5 years now and even living down in West Palm Beach and never caused a problem.
Yeah, I was not absolutely sure about that one. You are probably right... Definitely not when it is cold, the vinyl will crack...