Cool Commercial for a Ricer.

When you have a few spare minutes, this is worth looking at.

New Honda Commercial in the U.K.
the actual commercial is at the link below - read this first:

There are no computer graphics or digital tricks in the film. Everything
you see really happened in real time exactly as you see it. The film took
606 takes. On the first 605 takes, something, usually very minor, didn't
work.

They would then have to set the whole thing up again. The crew spent
weeks shooting night and day. The film cost six million dollars and took
three months to complete, including a full engineering the sequence. In
addition, it's two minutes long so every time Honda airs the film on
British television, they're shelling out enough dough to keep any one of us in
clover for a lifetime. However, it is fast becoming the most down
loaded advertisement in Internet history.

Honda executives figure the ad will soon pay for itself simply in "free"
viewings (Honda isn't paying a dime to have you watch this commercial!).
When the ad was pitched to senior executives, they signed off on it
immediately without any hesitation-including the costs. There are six
and only six handmade Accords in the world. To the horror of Honda
engineers, the filmmakers disassembled two of them to make the film.
Everything you see in the film (aside from the walls, floor, ramp, and complete Honda
Accord) are parts from those two cars.
The voice-over is Garrison Keillor. When the ad was shown to Honda
executives, they liked it and commented on how amazing computer graphics
have gotten. They fell off their chairs when they found out it was for
real.
Oh! And about those funky windshield wipers. On the new Accords, the
windshield wipers have water sensors and are designed to start doing
their thing automatically as soon as they become wet. It looks a bit weird
in the commercial.
Just one-second of computer generation is used to link the two
halves-when an exhaust pipe rolls across the floor. At one point, three
tires roll uphill because inside they have been weighted with bolts and screws.
Go to this website and watch the commercial....you won't believe it!

http://www.daboyz.org/honda/

• Sponsors (?)

That is still really cool, I read they took over 10 thousand of takes to get it complete. Each setup took hours.

The tires rolling uphill still bothers me. I read they had weights in them so it was not "fake" but it is a little contrived compared to the rest of the stunts.

Edbert said:
That is still really cool, I read they took over 10 thousand of takes to get it complete. Each setup took hours.

The tires rolling uphill still bothers me. I read they had weights in them so it was not "fake" but it is a little contrived compared to the rest of the stunts.

Good eyes Edbert. Like Newtons first Law of Motion , an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The force needed to make the wheels move forward on an inclined plane AND continue in a forward rotation after impact ,as seen on the second to the last wheel , is obviously not there. For this to have been unaltered, physics dictate that the wheels were weighted at top dead center before the movement , impact at 90 degrees , rest at 180 degrees . BUT , even weighted , notice the wheel , while still on an inclined plain , does not begin an opposite roll. Weight would have to be substantial to prevent this, so , it is my official findings that the wheel portion of this exercise can be an actual event , theres just some hanky panky inside the wheel. I think the water sprayed on the wiendshield that activates the wipers is odd. What activated the wipers? Water ? Was there a conducted current somewhere I missed ? And the speakers. Look at the bottom where they originate from the floor. Well, they look to grow out of the floor. I have to think theres the possibility of some FX involved here. I hope its ok for me to even be on this thread. My thumb shall defend me !

It is, I have the same windshield in my 04' Grand Cherokee. Instead of setting the wipers to an intermitent setting as most, you set the degree of sensitivity. So instead of wiping every 20, 30 or 40 seconds it will wipe randomly depending on force and or build up of water. It's actually a neat function and you could leave them on all the time, same with the light sensitive headlights that brighten the more it darkens outside. I really see them though as another damn fancy gadget that can break easily, probably cost a bundle to fix, and will require all kinds of diagnostic equipment I can't afford to fix it myself.

:hail2: Hail the classics that only require an adjustable wrench, a screw driver, an occasional BFH and some common sense to get up and running again.

Pakrat said:
It is, I have the same windshield in my 04' Grand Cherokee. Instead of setting the wipers to an intermitent setting as most, you set the degree of sensitivity. So instead of wiping every 20, 30 or 40 seconds it will wipe randomly depending on force and or build up of water. It's actually a neat function and you could leave them on all the time, same with the light sensitive headlights that brighten the more it darkens outside. I really see them though as another damn fancy gadget that can break easily, probably cost a bundle to fix, and will require all kinds of diagnostic equipment I can't afford to fix it myself.

:hail2: Hail the classics that only require an adjustable wrench, a screw driver, an occasional BFH and some common sense to get up and running again.
hehehe...funny you should mention that. The best adjustable wiper setup in any car at any price (I'm talking 745iL stuff here) was installed as standard equipment in all 1967 Mustangs. The little foot pedal that acticvated the washers was a manual pump that squirted water. If it was lightly pressed it did not squirt but activated a "wipe once" swipe of the wipers via an electrical connection. Infinitely variable and intelligent controls. Cheap and easy to repair but I've never seen one broken in driving 67s for over 20 years even after almost 40 years of use.

Talk about "Hail"!