Engine Coolant Leak From Valve On Upper Cobra Intake

Your EGR spacer and coolant hoses are not hooked up right. You might have coolant and vacuum hoses mixed up. I think in the first picture, the EGR spacer has the coolant hose connected to one side and a red plug on the other. The plugged port should run to a little pipe off of the heater hard lines. In the second picture, there is a line headed to the right area for the coolant line hooked up to the intake throat. Is that why you are getting coolant in bad spots? Also, the hoses going to the spacer should be hose clamped for pressure.
Insults do not get you far here, but a little patience might. Some of us do not live on the computer, and pictures can help a lot too.

• Sponsors (?)

i ment to insult no one...except mayb the dude telling me to find a mechanically inclined friend lol.. im am more then happy to provide any pictures needed to help fix my problem.. 7991lx thanks for the help. you were asking about a coolant line hooked up to the intake throat? it is 100% possible i hooked hoses up the wrong way.. which hose were you talking about exactlyy..? sorryy if i come off strong, must be because im from ny lol..

the hose from the lower intake needs to go to the intake throat. the breather line needs to go from the valve cover filler neck to the throttle body. pull the EGR spacer off and chuck it in the trash. no need for it with the cobra intake.

I color coded a copy to be exact. The hose on the back side of the EGR spacer is marked in pink. One end is on the EGR spacer and needs a clamp (can not see one in the pic). The other end goes down under to a fitting under the throttle, wiring and EGR to the back corner of the manifold that carries coolant. For the other hose, the green end green goes down to the heater tube fitting. If it does, the Red square end is in the wrong spot!! The RED end needs to go where your Red cap is. That is in a orange square. My manifold is different, but it does appear your manifold is sucking coolant the way it is now.

I used Tranny or Fuel Inj. hose for these two lines. I figure that will stand up to pressure, temp and coolant fine. And I did not find a pre-bent replacement for either hose.

Also, check the gaskets around the EGR spacer since it carries coolant when hooked up correctly.

My hide has been saved and other times I was seriously helped by some of the motorheads here. Mechanical things are a breeze, but I am learning about the EEC IV.

Attachments

• Leak3.jpg
    Leak3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,663
Reactions: 1 user
RE: srtthis' comments, Even if there are too darn many lines and gadgets on the stock motor, Please leave the egr spacer on or in a box for the next owner. They might be in an emissions state or just hate codes. It will make for an instant visual test failure if it is missing and kills the EGR function.

RE: srtthis' comments, Even if there are too darn many nives and gadgets on the stock motor, Please leave the egr spacer on or in a box for the next owner. They might be in an emissions state or just hate codes. It will make for an instant visual test failure if it is missing and kills the EGR function.

See below...

As I said... Chuck it

thanks 7991lxnsho...you've been a lot of help..i didnt put the egr spacer on and the car was running fine with it so why would it benefit me removing? ( honest question)..i think i sucked coolant in and blew the head gaskets..i found a cheap long block and will most likely be installing this weekend..thanks again

Heres a pic of mine installed on my 88, never mind that they dont look exactly alike, mine is the original casting yours is the newer cast. The EGR is built into the upper intake, the coolant lines that run though it get plugged as there are no provisions for them. If you look close at a 93 cobra youll see the that the black hard line that runs under the TB back to the heater does not even have the nipples for those lines. The line that runs into the TB is for the breather from the oil filler neck and the other rubber hose goes to the charcoal canister.
102_0873.jpg

i ment to insult no one...except mayb the dude telling me to find a mechanically inclined friend lol.. im am more then happy to provide any pictures needed to help fix my problem.. 7991lx thanks for the help. you were asking about a coolant line hooked up to the intake throat? it is 100% possible i hooked hoses up the wrong way.. which hose were you talking about exactlyy..? sorryy if i come off strong, must be because im from ny lol..
I mean no disrespect but if you're mixing up vacuum lines and coolant hoses you absolutely should find a mechanically inclined friend to help you out. Work smarter not harder.

thanks 7991lxnsho...you've been a lot of help..i didnt put the egr spacer on and the car was running fine with it so why would it benefit me removing? ( honest question)..i think i sucked coolant in and blew the head gaskets..i found a cheap long block and will most likely be installing this weekend..thanks again
I highly doubt you blew the head gaskets. Just remove the egr spacer, connect the charcoal canister line to the barb where you have the line coming from the coolant hard pipe. Cap the barb on the coolant hard pipe. The spacer is not supposed to be used with the cobra intake like mentioned(for some reason I don't think you are getting this). The egr bolts to the back of the intake. There is a spot for it and most likely whoever had this before blocked it off.

The Cobra intake has the EGR built into it, no need for the extra EGR plate. Thats why SRTTHIS said it could be chunked.

Joe
I was looking at it like an Explorer intake since they are supposed to be a cast copy. Unless there is a block off plate for the extra EGR, things could be really messed up. I hope the emissions vac. diagram is still under the hood. If not, a search on this forum will get you a close enough one.

Vac is simple, two under the intake are vacuum tree and fuel reg, the one where the op had coolant coming out is for the bap/Map sensor there is the one on the egr. I can only think of four lines coming off it but it's been several months since I've messed with mine.