Coolant Leak...

I came out to my car this morning to discover this...

248822473477.jpg

It looks like the coolant is leaking from this area..

248822450693-1.jpg

So...my first assumption is that my thermostat housing gasket is leaking or something.
But I cant tell if its leaking from that...or if its dripping down onto it from something.
But....there isnt anything that would leak coolant around that? Is there?

Its definately like...majorly leaking out, not just a few drips.

• Sponsors (?)

I came out to my car this morning to discover this...

248822473477.jpg

It looks like the coolant is leaking from this area..

248822450693-1.jpg

So...my first assumption is that my thermostat housing gasket is leaking or something.
But I cant tell if its leaking from that...or if its dripping down onto it from something.
But....there isnt anything that would leak coolant around that? Is there?

Its definately like...majorly leaking out, not just a few drips.

bad hose?( theres two hoses there) cracked head?

bad hose?( theres two hoses there) cracked head?

Yeah, Crossing my fingers it not a cracked head.
I'm going to go check it out again once I muster up the courage to go out into the freezing weather again.

If its not a cracked head, it had to either be the water pump housing gasket, or a cracked or loose hose doesn't it?
Not thing else in that area that would leak coolent is there?

The water pump itself can leak. There's a weep hole in the snout that will leak coolant if the seals in the pump go bad. I don't think I've ever seen one fail sitting overnight though.

Yeah.
Turned out to be the water pump.
I took all my belts and the timeing belt cover off to get a better look at the thermostat housing...

I noticed that when I spun the water pump it made a noise like when you lick your finger and press down and run it across a glass counter top. So I grabbed the pully and it had some definately up and down play. Not the entire pump assembly, but just the shaft. When I would pull upwards on it anti-freeze would literally pour out the bottom weep hole.

You cant tell in the picture, but it didn't just randomly fail over night...you can see a trail i left coming up the street and into the drive way... Woops!

So...$44 for a brand new water pump. Not to shabby!
I need to go back and get a lower radiator hose...mine like..compltely fell apart while trying to take it off the pump.

*sigh*

On the good side of the coin...my head isn't cracked! :flag: