Coolant Problems

I'm asking this for my roomate's friend. He has a 95 v-6 mustang. the problem is his car is overheating and coolant is forcing out of the top of the resevoir. he thought it was the thermostat and when he unbolted it to replace it there wasn't one there. so he put a factory thermostat in and the problems got worse. any idea what could cause the antifreeze to come back up and go out the resevoir top? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a serious blockage somewhere in the flow of the coolant maybe? Find out if he ever used or know if the previous owner ever used any of that radiator seal stuff. I know that messed my car up cause the first owner used that stuff wrong.

i think it's a blockpassage as well. if it is what could he do about it? thanks, i got some more info, it seems to be almost misfiring but it isn't detonating. it has like almost kinda a gurgle missfire. he has power loss. the car runs better without the thermostat. when he drives it somewhere and turns off the car that's when the temp goes up.not so much when it's runing but when he shuts if off. that's when it starts coming out of the coolant resevoir. i'm going to clarify everything tommorow. thanks, jason