Cooling method at the track

[Twitch]

Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
So when you are at the track, how do you guys cool down your car?

I have tried ice, but the way the intake elbow and other stuff are placed, I can't get the ice in direct contact with the intake manifold.

I have recently did some datalogging with different cooling methods. The first one I tried was the most obvious: engine off, hood open. That dropped the ECT from 204F to 186F in 11 minutes, so around a rate of 1.63F/min.

Then I tried engine on, hood closed, radiator fan on high and heater blower on high. Temperature went from 210F to 188F then stayed there in about 4 minutes. This give about 5.5F/min

After that, I added water wetter, tried it again, engine on, hood closed, radiator fan on high and heater blower on high. That dropped the ECT from 204F to 180F in 3 minutes, 8F/min.

So I guess the best would be to cool it down with the fans on, then stop the motor and let it cool even more.

I tried all these methods during the same hour. It was 86F and 49% humidity outside.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a aftermarket intake or something. I get ice on mine just fine. Anyway, I use ice, and push the car through the staging lanes. I also dont hot lap it. I might run it twice then let it cool down for atleast 30 minutes.