Cooling System Issue/Overfill

89KenneBellVert

Jan 11, 2011
ey everyone, just a quick question to see if this is normal or not....
I just recently replaced my head gaskets after i blew them at a launch, and caused some serious over-pressurization of the cooling system which is why i'm worried that I did it again.

I have an overfill tank, and not a return-style system for the radiator. After replacing the gaskets, and going over the entire cooling system, i started her up and watched the coolant level drop when it ran through the block and then i filled her to the top and put on the cap (which is what i was always taught.) I took her to the strip again, came back, and no problems. I only had a little in the overfill tank and nothing more. The next few days, still nothing. Last night however, the overfill tank was full (quart size.) I emptied her, filled the radiator back up and drove her a bit and when i checked there was nothing again.

My question, is this normal? Why would i have none, and then have it suddenly be full again? Is it normal for most cars to reject about a quart from a full radiator before its satisfied? Any advice is helpful.. next time it happens, i'm going to keep it out of the radiator and see if it fills up even more.. if it does i definitely have a problem.

• Sponsors (?)