Could it be bad fuel?

My car sat for over a year with the same untouched 87 octane fuel. What are the effects of fuel sitting this long. The timing seems like its too advanced at even 10* or playing around a lil without a timing light, it will put out a cloud of white smoke if you rev it is that typical of bad fuel too? Just wondering how many of my problems are brought on by bad fuel. Tomorow im gonna top the tank off with fresh 91 maybe higher and see if the white smoke, timing problem and taking alot of cranking before it fires will stop. Whats your take on it?

• Sponsors (?)

you can have varnishing, water in the fuel, etc. i would syphon it out and start over. if not, run heat and stuff like that. run some injector cleaner (hooks to the fuel rail style), etc. swap the fuel filter. i would not infer too much before you get it up to snuff and change some fluids (oil should be done asap). i would change it and filter. then run it a bit and redo oil and filter again.

a good tune up of at least plugs and filters would be a good idea.

good luck.

Speaking of old gas...I have an 85 Z-28 that's been sitting around since 93 with the same gas in the tank. I start it up every spring and every fall for a quick tour around the block. Still fires on the first crank and still runs as strong as she can for only having 2 gears in a 700R4 :nice: Maybe some fresh fuel would liven her up a bit :shrug: Put a pretty healthy 350 in her and that tore up the trans. Then got into 5.0s before I could get the trans repaired. Ever since, I've been eternally greatful to the weak 700R4. Had it held up, I may have never found true love :D