Could My T-5 be Going @ 117,000 mi.?

rseifert

Founding Member
Mar 13, 2001
Lung Gyland, NY
I have noticed lately a slight rubbing sound, (not so much a crunching/grinding sound) but it definately sounds like metal on metal, coming from what seems to be the transmission area. It seems like it only makes the sound in 1st through 3rd gears, but it doesnt make the sound all the time! I'm by no means a mechanic, but I'm guessing its the tranny. I don't know what else it could be. It just confuses me how its intermittent. I also think it might make the sound more often when the motor is cold and when I have more weight in the car. I will get the tranny rebuilt, but I dont want to and that not be the problem. Any help? Thanks!
p.s. its not so much a sound i hear, but a sound I feel. I can feel the vibrations of this through my car

• Sponsors (?)

can you be more descriptive of the problem? does it do it while driving, or just when shifting?

I'm taking apart a wrecked 86 gt, and I'm 99% sure that the trans is all original with 135k miles and going strong.

I wouldn't worry about it. Until it goes of course. My 89 grinds in 2nd, makes a whistling in 3rd (probably chipped) and a click when I tap the gas in 5th. I got the car over 2 years ago and it was doing that when I got it. Eventually something will let go though.

Do you have an aftermarket shifter? They tend to allow some extra noise to make it to the interior.

I don't know what the hell the noise is, but I no longer thinks it's the tranny or the drivetrain at all, for that matter. I found out that it makes the noise when i make a sharp left turn in gear w/ gas given (say making a left turn from a stop sign). I know my ball joints are shot, but does this sound like a wheel bearing or something maybe? Kinda sounds like its coming from the front right.....

The grinding in 1st through 3rd is a synchronisation problem... My car had the exact same prob, I just helped the guy reinstall the tranny in it today, and I test drove it... he replaced 2nd gear, and all the synchronisation rings, and it's as good as new now :)

Parts were $250, and labor was $350

Have ya been powershifting? Have ya got a new shifter? I noticed more tranny noise with my shifter, but I've noticed a lot more (a audible grind in low speed 2nd gear engagement) since I've experimented with powershifting. Haven't done it much at all, and only to 2nd gear. Most I've done with 3rd was a lift throttle, but it has whined since before I drove the car.