Cranking, stop 1 sec, crank again and a loud pop

xscmanns

May 20, 2010
So I'm really curious.

for years my dad and I thought the car had start issues cause the key was stiff and you'd loose grip lol thought grandma always let go too soon or something, nope just start issue.

Just about to fire up I thought she was fired up bout 3-4 seecond of cranking, let off good sec sec 1/2 and turned key quickly again and a loud POP like a turbo engine detonating lol.

Turned key, fire'd up and purrred right after :D

I'm going to be searching to figure out what that start issue is, almost starts up flawless warm 2-3 seconds, randomly when warm and always cold it'll sometimes not fire up first try ;/

• Sponsors (?)

The entire fuel system needs to maintain pressure so that fuel is immediatly available upon restart. Likely you have a fuel injector that is leaking down. This is the source of raw fuel in the exhaust.

Try this, cycle the key on/off serveral times without starting. Does this improve starting? It works because the fuel pump runs for a few seconds upon inital key on. Cycling the key allows the system to be re-pressurized.

Another possibility is a weak ignition. The delay allows raw fuel in the exhaust.