Creative amp placement

Heratik

Jul 29, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm going to get a the Alpine MRP-F450 and the MRP-M650 and was wondering if it was possible to mount them under the rear seats. I've looked at it and it appears that there is enough space if I modify the padding on the bottom of cushion. Currently the padding fills the entire cavity under the seat. I think I could cut the padding and then put some plywood in there to support the seat and create an empty space. The concern that I have is with they heat that the amps will generate and if it would be a problem in such a confined space.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give on this or any other clean, creative, or concealed amp placements you guys have come up with.

• Sponsors (?)

Wouldn't advise on it. If you must put them back there, you might as well go with a rear seat delete. Even if you modify the padding and add some plywood, there is just no air circulation there. You are gonna have to do what everyone else does and place them in the trunk. Mount them on the sides out of the way of the trunk space. Just my opinion.

Figured that would be the case, but I wasn't completely sure. Anyone ever mount them under the deck similar to the stock amp location or on the underside of the trunk lid? As you can see I really want to preserve as much space in our minuscule trunk as I can.

ChingonStang said:
You are gonna have to do what everyone else does and place them in the trunk. Mount them on the sides out of the way of the trunk space. Just my opinion.

I thought about doing something simular myself but I talked to a few guys that work at the audio installation stores in town here and they recommended not putting subs or amps under the rear seat. There is not enough air space and once the amps heated up enough, your seats would slowly burn if not start on fire.

Some of the more hidden areas that friends have suggested to me is fabricate the front seat mounts to raise them up a bit and place the amps there. The way im personnaly gonna go about it is pulling up the carpet and fabricate a base to put behind the front seats to mount the amps to the floorboard and yet have them protected from being damaged

bcmustanggt said:
There is not enough air space and once the amps heated up enough, your seats would slowly burn if not start on fire.
They must have been really exagerating.The seat will not burn nor catch on fire. I have tested amps for a mfgr. and ran them at 1/2 ohm and the hottest they got was about 180* and then the thermal protection kicked in.

Ugh, used speakers on ebay is something I won't buy, but the box is cool. I have the MTX thunderform version for my 04 vert.

Ive seen people mount where the old mach 460 box in a coupe is placed. Have you thought about possibly the inside of the trunk decklid? Now there's a place I have yet to see amps mounted. LCD's yes...but amps...hmmm

I just linked that ebay auction since it had a good assortment of pictures. Chances are I'm going to get the Rockford version since it is much less expensive and it's virtually identical cept for it comes with a Rockford sub and it isn't carpeted. I'm planning on getting a JL W6 anyway so I'm not concerned with buying a used box.

I have considered mounting to the underside of the trunk. The weight of the amps is the only concern I have with that location. I'm just not sure if the trunk lid is sufficiently reinforced to deal with the extra 14 pounds without being damaged in some way. If anyone has mounted amps or anything else heavy from a mustang deck please chime in.

The more I've been thinking about it the more it appears that ChingonStang was right. Mounting them on the side of the trunk would be the best bet. Though I am still going to look into mounting under the deck. I just need to get the Mach stuff out of there to see what kind of space I am dealing with.

I've seen decks with fiberglass and lcd screens and lights, seen people mount a luggage rack in place of a wing like on some of the older mustangs and of course seen people mount ridiculous ricer wings on thier mustangs with no problems. I don't see why you could not mount possibly one or both amps there. There are also add-ons for the inside deck that lets you add storage for tools and first aid. If I remember correctly, some of the 2000 Roush Mustangs we had at Skyline Ford carried a custom tool box mounted on the inside of the decklid.

I plan on putting my amps on the side of my trunk when i'm off during the summer.

ChingonStang said:
I've seen decks with fiberglass and lcd screens and lights, seen people mount a luggage rack in place of a wing like on some of the older mustangs and of course seen people mount ridiculous ricer wings on thier mustangs with no problems. I don't see why you could not mount possibly one or both amps there. There are also add-ons for the inside deck that lets you add storage for tools and first aid. If I remember correctly, some of the 2000 Roush Mustangs we had at Skyline Ford carried a custom tool box mounted on the inside of the decklid.

I plan on putting my amps on the side of my trunk when i'm off during the summer.

Dont mount an amp on the trunk lid... there isnt a good place to ground an amp on a trunk lid... your best bet is behind the seat or on the back of the box... i had mine mounted on the trunklid and i had nothing but problems... + it was a rattlefest on the trunklid...

forum155pl said:
Dont mount an amp on the trunk lid... there isnt a good place to ground an amp on a trunk lid... your best bet is behind the seat or on the back of the box... i had mine mounted on the trunklid and i had nothing but problems... + it was a rattlefest on the trunklid...

Not if you dyna the heck out of it.

I did this instead..
IMG_0886.jpg

Amps
IMG_0878.jpg

Trunk Side
IMG_0732.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0878.jpg