Cruise wont work

JoshGT87

Jun 11, 2003
Arkansas
What are some common problems to check for on the cruise control? Ive had my car for three years and its never worked. Never really looked into it until now. Basiclly its dead. It doesnt matter what I touch nothing on it works. I dont know if this it too complicated to describe or if its pretty common. Thanks for any help yall can give.

Josh

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, heres what I got. I pulled the inner fender and looked at the cruise servo.
Still has the rubber boot to protect it on it. Started the car and checked for vaccum, it has vaccum. All the hoses look good, and the cable is going into the servo. Tried to check the switches with a test light and couldnt figure out where to probe it. Anyhow, thats what Ive got. Thanks

Josh

Oh yeah, checked all the fuses just to be sure. :nice:

sleeper89 said:
...i vote switches! j/k seriously though, i'll bet the swithces on the steering wheel have krappd out. these and the power door lock switches tend to give out after years of service.

-steve

Cruise WORKS!! Dont know why but it does. I pulled the inner fender to inspect the servo. Every thing looked pluged up. So I check vaccum. Vaccum ok. On my way home I thought well Ill try it. IT WORKED! :banana: But...when I got home I had a way high idle. I popped the hood and checked all the vaccum hoses I could see. Shut it off, restarted and the idle went down. I got a can of WD-40 and sprayed all over the vaccum lines and couldnt find a leak anywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help.

CRUISE WORKS!! :banana:

Josh

Cruise has a vacuum dump valve mounted behind the brake pedal shaft, so when you hit the brakes the cruise cuts off. Check for a vacuum leak at this valve, and check that it is adjusted properly to be activated by the brake pedal.

-P51C

Black 93 Fox said:
Mine doesnt work lol........well i think i might know since reading this thread mine horn and cruise went out at the same time were is the fuse for cruise/horn?

The '93 book says it's fuse #16. That's a 20 amp fuse.

You're going to want to find out why the fuse blew -- have a bunch of spare fuses ready. Most likely it's the horn causing the problem. Replace the fuse, check that the cruise control works, then try the horn (give it a good long blast) and see if you don't blow the fuse again.