cruisin studder step

stangz4life

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
tampa,fl
Ok here is the prob .i have a little surge or studder while i am at at a cruising speed (steady speed).doesnt happen at full throttle at all.just seams to like jerk a little when it is at a constant speed.it doesnt matter what rmp range it is in. i can be going 90 and it does it ..40 and it does it ..its driving me crazy! it started about a month ago .please help !! pulled codes with nothing also checked timing it is 10 d.:bang:

replaced items are as followed:

fuel filter
air filter
spark plugs(gapped correctly)
wires
cap/rotor
coil
followed by a full tank of 93 /with inj. cleaner (twice)

i just dont know what else to check i really do not want to bring it to anyone

• Sponsors (?)

Ok here is the prob .i have a little surge or studder while i am at at a cruising speed (steady speed).doesnt happen at full throttle at all.just seams to like jerk a little when it is at a constant speed.it doesnt matter what rmp range it is in. i can be going 90 and it does it ..40 and it does it ..its driving me crazy! it started about a month ago .please help !! pulled codes with nothing also checked timing it is 10 d.:bang:

replaced items are as followed:

fuel filter
air filter
spark plugs(gapped correctly)
wires
cap/rotor
coil
followed by a full tank of 93 /with inj. cleaner (twice)

i just dont know what else to check i really do not want to bring it to anyone

By any chance do you feel a some power loss when you go over 3,000 rpm .I had the same problem on a ford LTD one time it was the ignition module was on its way out I changed the coil everything like you mentioned and it ended up being the ignition module even though it tested fine.Or the PIP sensor like Hissin mentioned.

well i never replaced the pip .thats in the distributor correct? so i might as well just replace the whole thing with a new one and be done with it.and no it doesnt feel like i have any power loss of anykinda at any rpm's i just dont know maybe i will replace tom.

As a quick test, you could try cleaning the PIP components and see if it helps. I carefully spray electrical contact cleaner around the bowl to do this.

If the symptom changes, you would have a better feel that you're onto something.

Good luck.

ok well update guys i changed the dis. over the weekend .it did cure my problem .i puilled the cap off to look at the rotor and it looked really weird .it was uneven wear on it not smooth either.like there was a missfire going on i guess.well anyways thanks for the help.so dam i pretty much have a new elec. system now..lol what would i do without this place and the peeps in here..besides replace everything till it goes away i guess ha ha again thanks

Nice work. You could check your old dizzy's mainshaft for runout. This can cause the rotor and PIP to get beaten to snot. It's always kinda cool to figure out what failed...........

Again, nice work getting it figured out. :nice: