Cylinder Not Firing?

AmBo

Feb 3, 2004
New Jersey
Hey guys, so this morning the stang was limped to work. I was getting hesitation and loss of power primarily between 1,500 and 2,000 rpms. It just felt like the motor wasn't in sync. I'm thinking a cylinder either isn't firing or is greatly misfiring. Is this typically the culprit here? I'm hoping it's just a COP that needs replacement.

Another symptom is at idle. the car "shakes" from the motor's misfiring. I wish it did this simply because of the sick amount of torque, but sadly, that's not the case. :(:notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

No codes? If the CEL is on, get the codes pulled and report back. If it's not on, then that's not unusual - the PCM is not always very helpful with misfires.

Most likely ignition related. Make sure all the COPs are seated correctly and connectors snug and that none of the plugs have backed out, then start looking for moisture in the plug wells, inspect the plugs and inspect the COPs for damage. Make sure the injector connections are snug too and look for any damaged, loose, or rotted hoses while you're at it.

If it misfires regularly at idle then you may be able to figure out which cylinder it is by disconnecting COPs one at a time. If you disable one and it idles worse, then that's not it - if you disable one and it stays the same, then you've found the correct cylinder. Then you can swap the COP with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows the COP or stays with that cylinder. If the misfire moves with the COP, then it's bad. If the misfire stays put then it's plug, harness or injector related.

If it misfires regularly at idle then you may be able to figure out which cylinder it is by disconnecting COPs one at a time.
A suggestion. Consider disabling the fuel injector if at all possible.

Disabling the COP would allow unburnt fuel in the exhaust. This can damage the cats.

+1 on looking for moisture in the spark plug wells (even if not washed lately).