Damn do I ever need gears :(

Great68

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Victoria BC
So I took the car out to the local dragstrip for the Friday night street legal event. I just wanted to try her out after doing all my motor mods, however as you may or may not know I switched back to the 2.80 gears since my 3.40's were toast (And I have a 9" with 3.50's sitting and waiting).

Anyways, my best time of the night was a lame 15.38@94mph with a 2.45 60ft time (One tire fire spin was an issue off the line). At 5500 RPM my tach would go weird and I would hear a big pop (I think it's a timing/coil issue). I did not even use third gear by the time I crossed the line.

My old best time and mph was 15.39@90mph with the stock heads, old cam, offy intake, holley 600 and 3.40 gears.

At least I picked up some mph, with new gears 3rd gear might actually be useful and some much better times might be attainable.

IMG_0124.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Sponsors (?)

Either way with that combo you should easily be into the 13's at the very least. You could maybe even pull low 13's maybe even a 12.9 with some slicks, gears, posi, and a solid launch. There is something definantly wrong. I would invest in a dyno tune if you can. Get that thing running like a dime and you should spank a lot of cars on the street. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a T5. Heheheheheh. :D

Great68 said:
What's wrong is the 2.80 Open rear end!! :p

I was talking about the whole combo in general. Sounds like it needs a good tune. But either way there is something definantly wrong with a 2.80 open rear end. :D

I will be running a 2.75 open rear end for a couple months with my engine when im done until I can afford them. So I know where you are coming from. :damnit: