Deep doo doo

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
I am in some deep ****. I might lose my license. Here's what happened.

I am on my way to work this morning. It's about 8:45 am, the sun is finally out, i have the top down, and the traffic is light. I'm cruising about 70 or so on the highway turning 2000 rpm, which is about the same speed as most people, maybe a few mph higher.

So the lane in front of me opens up and I decide to step on it a little ... so I go to maybe 1/2 or 2/3 throttle. Well, in about 5 seconds, the car went from 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm, which translates to going from 70 to 90. I have 3.27 gears.

Of course, there just so happened to be a police officer coming onto the highway right then ...

Ticket for 87 mph in a 55 mph zone, $290, 5 points.

Before this, I had like 6-7 points from a couple speeding tickets over the last 2 years and the car accident I was in in January that was my fault. So I could lose my license.

I am starting to think this car is too fast for the street. At least too fast FOR ME on the street. It was way too easy to go way too fast. If I ever took the car up to only 3000 rpm in 4th, I would be going like 110. And that would be so easy to do it's almost scary. 4000 rpm would be insane.

In the words of Daughtry, "be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it all, and then some you don't want."

I am seriously considering handing in the tags on Monday and selling the car.

• Sponsors (?)

That really sucks, talk about crappy timing.

In the words of James Hetfield.

"Careful what you wish
Careful what you say
Careful what you wish
You may regret it
Careful what you wish
You just might get it

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around "

That sucks man. I have always been lucky and just explained that I wasnt really trying to get on it big time, just having a little fun, and they have always knocked it down some for me. Honesty always helps, but aparently not this time. Hopefully you can find a way to keep your license.

Are you anywhere close to any of those points falling off your license? I had to get a lawyer once to delay my court date for 3 months so some of my other points could clear. It's expensive to go the lawyer route, but it's cheaper than SR-22 insurance if you loose you license.

I sold my first Mustang and bought a jeep because I couldn't resist the temptation to bury my foot, and ALWAYS did it in front of the cops. I know that sick feeling. I'm bumming for you, but you ought to at least talk to a lawyer to see what they might be able to do for you. Or the prosecutor for that matter. Do whatever you can not to lose your license. That's a real PITA to deal with, and it sticks with you a lot longer than lawyer fees.

Oh $ H I T Chris. :( I am so sorry to hear this. You have been my 400+ c.i. internet bro and I was looking forward to meeting up sometime when my schedule loosened up. This is just not right man. :damnit: You are the last guy to be ir-responsible in the sense of racing the car. Everyone does this quick out now and then on the accelerator, thats why we have these cars. I have to admit I would be much more likely to get on it in a 65 than a 55mph but thats just me after being paranoid of my speed. Please at least tell us those points are soon to expire.

Get a lawyer, stall it, let them expire, bring character whitnesses, whatever u gotta do. Then get the 5 points reduced and you will be ok. Then take that car to the track and run the hell out of it and have a good time.

Years ago I got something like that...1xx in a 65 or 70mph zone. Got tagged by state hwy on the way to visit come friends at a different college. The ONE time I should have ran...but I am a "good" person...arresting officer "glad you pulled over, I was not even sure what kind of car it was". They busted a U-turn when they tagged me while going the opposite way on the hwy.

Found out in that county they do NOT fix tickets. The police were nice, they let me drive to the ATM to get my bail/bond and let me drive to the station and jump in the back seat for "processing". 1hr later and $550 later I was on my way. Got 6pts and a 30 day suspension. It sucked, overall it cost me about $2,000-2,500 with fines, court costs, SR22 insurance.

Lessen learned that is for sure...to me it was not worth selling the car. In the end I could have been in a 3cyl metro doing 1xx you can speed in anything.

Also, would a laser or radar detector helped? I am guessing he had his lazer on while hitting the on ramp? They live for that crap. Jerks.

p.s. This is also why sometimes I have thought of buying a jeep and lifting it....harder to go fast..less temptation.

Also, would a laser or radar detector helped? I am guessing he had his lazer on while hitting the on ramp? They live for that crap. Jerks.

p.s. This is also why sometimes I have thought of buying a jeep and lifting it....harder to go fast..less temptation.

Did this...you just end up breaking axles, hubs, t-cases, and having LATE nights pulling out of all around "sticky" situations. Fun...HELL YEAH...but its not cheaper just as expensive (and in a lot of ways more so) in different ways.

That said I am really wanting to sell he wife's 01 ZX2 and pick up a 95-98 Cherokee 4 door 4x4 4.0...sport model would be just fine. Thinking around Aug-Nov of this year maybe. I hear the early 90 models have a coolant/overheating issue and the 99+ have a head cracking issue. If I get a 95...no smog testing but at a bit more age might not be worth it. Put a small lift on it with some 31x10.50 AT's.

There must be a way to file a dispute. This action usually results in months delay as the matter will have to go to court. Two things in your favor here. If the cop isn't present the charge should be dropped and second, the judge just might be a little lenient although 87 in a 55 zone would normally be considered excessive. The bottom line is that it can't get any worse for you and you may luck out.

i don't know ... but i'll definately find out what the options are.

maybe the officer won't show up for the hearing

the reason i am seriously considering returning the tags is so that when i go to court and tell my story, if i say that i returned the tags the next day and haven't driven it since, i think the judge will be more likely to be easy on me

Here in FL, the officer that gave you the ticket has to be present or it's dismissed. Who else can speak for an officer if they weren't there? Then it becomes your word against theirs because you were there and they weren't.

That rule in MA is redundant and contains no justice at all!

A lot of my friends are police officers and all their court dates are scheduled on a certain day so that they can make it and they get paid overtime for it. good luck though