Detonation Problem: Should I Use the "Holy Grail" Plugs?

noyolastang

Apr 11, 2004
Madrid, Spain
My car recently started pinging, this only happens when Im at the 1/4 mile or really really flooring it. Basically it happens at WOT in 3rd Gear at high RPMs. I read in another forum (http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84438&highlight=Holy+Grail) that using AWSF 22C Motorcraft Spark Plugs would solve my problem, but according to a salesman at a shop he says late model mustangs should only use platinum plugs. :shrug: I dont wanna do anything that'll mess up my car.... Anyone have any suggestions regarding if its ok or not to use those spark plugs or to what my problem could be?
TIA
PS- Its a 2002 GT Automatic with a Diablosport chip w/ 14,000 Miles

• Sponsors (?)

i use the autolite 764's(copper) the only problem i had was when i installed them the car ran bad but i pulled the plug and forgot to gap 7 and 8. i personally rather use copper because they dont last as long so it makes me pull them and it gives me a chance to look at the plugs more often.

noyolastang said:
My car recently started pinging, this only happens when Im at the 1/4 mile or really really flooring it. Basically it happens at WOT in 3rd Gear at high RPMs. I read in another forum (http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84438&highlight=Holy+Grail) that using AWSF 22C Motorcraft Spark Plugs would solve my problem, but according to a salesman at a shop he says late model mustangs should only use platinum plugs. :shrug: I dont wanna do anything that'll mess up my car.... Anyone have any suggestions regarding if its ok or not to use those spark plugs or to what my problem could be?
TIA
PS- Its a 2002 GT Automatic with a Diablosport chip w/ 14,000 Miles

Try a bottle of Chevron Techron at your next fill-up. I was getting pinging in the higher gears, and switched to premium for a while - then I tried the Techron stuff; pinging went away. I also got the Ford plugs at 50K, and they didn't make a difference.

another idea, is to try using some seafoam. the crownvic guys love it, and since the motors are the same it should work on stangs too. it really works well to clean out the intake and everything else in the top end of the motor. just pull the hose on the PCV and suck it in until the car stalls, let it sit for ~20 minutes, then drive the crap outta the car. itll spew out a ton of smoke but thats the seafoam working.

bdcardinal said:
another idea, is to try using some seafoam. the crownvic guys love it, and since the motors are the same it should work on stangs too. it really works well to clean out the intake and everything else in the top end of the motor. just pull the hose on the PCV and suck it in until the car stalls, let it sit for ~20 minutes, then drive the crap outta the car. itll spew out a ton of smoke but thats the seafoam working.

Mmmm... Sounds interesting. Im not familiar with this, where can I get it?