DID I MESS UP??

I BOUGHT SOME STEEDA MILS FOR MY OFF-ROAD H-PIPE, MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON BECAUSE OF IT. HOW DO I INSTALL THEM?? I INSTALLED RIGHT BEFORE THE O2 SENSOR. I DISCONNECTED MY BATTERY FOR 30 MINS PUT ON THE MILS HOOKED UP MY BATTERY THEN I TOOK IT FOR A RIDE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON LIKE 20 MINS LATER. WHAT'S UP??!!

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldnt worry about it to much. Every car reacts different when you take the converters off. I did the offroad swap a couple of years ago and my check engine light would come on and off for a few months. Since then it hasnt come on at all. If you call the manufactorer they will tell you that that's normal.

Nredgt98 said:
I wouldnt worry about it to much. Every car reacts different when you take the converters off. I did the offroad swap a couple of years ago and my check engine light would come on and off for a few months. Since then it hasnt come on at all. If you call the manufactorer they will tell you that that's normal.

Thats what mine was like also. I put on the MIL's then 2 weeks later or so the CEL came on and it would go on and off with no apparent pattern. I just went and bought a chip and got it the rear o2 sensors turned off.

daver01 said:
mine was on for a year & a half with dallast mustang mils on it.

finally got fed up & got an sct chip & they haven't been on since.

or take the bulb out.

I would suggest option #1 and not #2. I just got the SCT chip also and had the rear o2's turned off. Dont take the bulb out because then if something actually is wrong with your car you have no way of knowing. When it comes to the check engine light you should get it fixed as quick as possible so if something serious actually does go wrong you can fix it before it gets worse.

If you take the bulb out the it send the computer a mesage and will screw stuff up, just put some insulation over the bulb and tape it over the face plate and it will be fine. The chip is a Great way 2 go also

97gtconv. said:
WHAT SHOULD I GET?? PROGRAMMER, TUNNER, FLIP CHIP? I WANT SOMETHING THAT WILL CHANGE MY GEAR RATIO TO 4.10. THERE SITTING IN THE GARAGE AND TO DO THE O2 SENSORS AMONG OTHER THINGS. TELL ME SPECIFICALLY WHAT TO GET.

First off turn off your caps lock, everybody can see your writing perfectly fine in lower case. What I did was just went to a tuner got the chip burned and got it dynoed at the same time. I wouldnt do it any other way.

YOu could have wired it wrong or moisture could have gotten in there. It's extremely important that you insulate the mil-elims from water. I bought some of that plastic heat-shrink stuff to put around mine once I wired them in.

Or, you could have gotten a bad mil eliminator. It seems like about 1 out of 4 are faulty.

Send them back in for a replacement or get a chip or programmer like everyone else said.

97gtconv. said:
WHAT SHOULD I GET?? PROGRAMMER, TUNNER, FLIP CHIP? I WANT SOMETHING THAT WILL CHANGE MY GEAR RATIO TO 4.10. THERE SITTING IN THE GARAGE AND TO DO THE O2 SENSORS AMONG OTHER THINGS. TELL ME SPECIFICALLY WHAT TO GET.
If you do a dyno tune..take a ride to www.KauffmanMotorsports.com Dave will talk to you, He ask what you want & explain while he's tuning.
Also,as asked before..MILS to rear sensor?

Yea, you put the MIL on the rear sensors by the transmission cross member.

It worked for me no problems.

The first set is reading the exhaust before the cats and the rear set is after the cats and what deals with the emissions. Thats all that really matters in this case.

97gtconv. said:

I don't think they make a programmer that fixes our(96-98) speedo due to different rear end ratios, only 99 and up. Correct me if I am wrong. You would need a custom burn for that.