Difference in engine bay 69 vs. 70

I have been chasing a header fit issue with a 351 Cleveland in a 69 coupe. Hedman tech support is telling me that motor location is different in a 69 than in a 70. So headers for a 351c in a 70 coupe will NOT fit a 69. Am I wrong..aren't these the same? Are there differences in frame mounts? Motor mounts are the same.

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of it. My '69 Fastback shares winter storage garage with a '70 Mach 1. I haven't noticed any differences in the sheetmetal/frame.
Also I have a friend who once had a '68 Mustang Hardtop with a 351C. And those years have tighter enginebays than the '69. Aldough he never has told me if he ran headers or manifolds...

BTW, lot's of people are running 351C in '69s. If it was a common problem with header clearance, it would be common "Mustang knowledge"

Ask them where the difference is. I am not aware of any and I've had a few 69s and two 70s since 79. The only issue I'm aware of is the nonavailability of 351C in 69 which is why I always state its for a 70 whenever I buy engine parts. I've never had a problem.

There aren't any differences other than the big block Q and R code has reinforcements on the shock towers... well boss 429 has completely different shock towers... different animal. As stated this would be common knowledge if there was a difference. If I am able to fit long tubes on a 428 and C6 w/reinforced shock towers, I don't see how a 351c should be an issue. On top of that my 70 was actually made in 69.
Kevin

dimensionally all 67-70 Mustang engine bays are identical. as stated the 70 column is different as is the 67's column. convertibles also used different engine mounts and i have heard of some people using the vert mounts to gain header clearance.

dimensionally all 67-70 Mustang engine bays are identical. as stated the 70 column is different as is the 67's column. convertibles also used different engine mounts and i have heard of some people using the vert mounts to gain header clearance.

How are the vert mounts different?

I've heard in the fox bodies the vert mounts lower the engine 1/2" or so. Would be cool if it was the same for us as I could use the extra hood clearance.

not real sure, i just know that they are different. it may be something like moving the engine forward or backward or up or down, but it's possible they are just dimensionally different. i really wish i could say for sure, hell maybe i'm confused even.

I have had a 351C in my 69 Mustang with 2 different sets of Hedmans and they fit both times. The sets I had were the 2 barrel versions. They do not fit with a four speed as they interfere with the clutch release arm, but I am going with a hydraulic clutch and hydraulic release bearing.

My guess is that the header you have has "issues".

I think vert mounts just change the height. If they moved the mill foreword or backward, tranny mounts, radiator shrouds and fan extensions, driveshafts, all sorts of stuff would be different.

What is the fitment issue?

Yea, it is pretty sad. I talked with Hedmans and Dynomax, and a few others also. I kept asking why they had no listings for a 70 mustang with a 351 "W". They all kept saying there never was!!! So they put you on hold for a few minutes to talk to their so called "EXPERT". Their "EXPERT" says that 70's only come with a cleveland. Never had a windsor. I am like WHAT???!! Whatever. Their "EXPERTS" must be all chiivy guys. :nonono:

There were a few that came with the 351w from the factory but those are the ones that slipped through. My friend has one. The 70s on paper only came with a 351c.
Kevin

actually the 351w 2v was used until about mid year when the 351c 2v became available. there were a very few 351w 4v engines that got used up because they were left over from the 69 production run but only a very few, probably less than 1-200 total.

There are ALOT of 70's with windsors!! Doesn't really matter anyway since the jist of this thread was that the 69 and 70 engine bays were pretty much identical. And yet they still have no listings for the windsor engine in this year of car and the so called "experts" say they never did. :rolleyes: Man these idiots are losing alot of money on a part they could be selling thousands of.