Distributor removal help/how to on 93 LX 5.0

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
Does anyone have any tips or a "how to" remove your distributor on a 93 LX 5.0? I am in the process of removing my intake and swapping it out and I need to removed my distributor in order to get enough clearance to take it out.

How do you remove it without messing up my timing.???

• Sponsors (?)

mark the dist and the the block. when you put the dist back in make sure the marks line back up. also be careful that the shaft doesnt turn when you put it back in. I have had them jump a tooth or two before.

You'll inevitably need to toss a timing light on to verify the timing after pulling it. It'd be best to get your engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder now, just in case something goes wrong, you have an idea where you're stabbing it back in. Jumping a tooth or two is fine, as long as you can rotate the distributor enough to set your base timing back at your desired level.

The easiest way to do it:

1. Mark the block and shaft where they meet at the base.

2. Pop off the cap and mark the housing where the rotor is pointing.

3. Remove distributor bolt, slide out distributor.

4. On reassembly, ensure all the marks realign.

As long as you don't crank the motor while the distributor is out (why the hell would you, anyway?), everything will be in place when you put the distributor back in if the marks lineup. I think wasting time to make sure #1 is at TDC is much more difficult than just marking everything with a paint marker or a Sharpie.

The easiest way to do it:

1. Mark the block and shaft where they meet at the base.

2. Pop off the cap and mark the housing where the rotor is pointing.

3. Remove distributor bolt, slide out distributor.

4. On reassembly, ensure all the marks realign.

Have done it this way many times. The only time I have lined up TDC is when i replaced the dizzy when mine died.