Distributor wont seat all the way?

FordRacing302

5 Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
Cleveland, TN
Here's the deal, the block is out of a 97 Explorer, the oil pump shaft is the factory one from the 88, and distributor is a steel gear duraspark reman unit out of an '85...My problem is the dizzy wont seat all the way. Its about half an inch, maybe more, from seating all the way like it should. Ive tried turning the motor over and tapping lightly with a hammer and it still wont go...Anybody have any ideas or thoughts one what I should do?

• Sponsors (?)

The gear is at the right height...But I did notice that I put the oil pump shaft upside down, which means the pointed side is in the oil pump...That wouldnt hinder anything would it? I just thought it would make it that much harder to stab the distributor...

As far away from seating as you're talking about (1/2" right?) it has to be the drive shaft not engaging into the bottom of the distributor.

After the distributor is there I usually "bump" the motor w/ the starter to get it to drop, or I just keep lifting the distributor off the cam gear, rephase the rotor and drop it in until it engages.

Can you pull the driveshaft out? (sometimes people don't use the collar that keeps the driveshaft from accidentally coming out)

As far away from seating as you're talking about (1/2" right?) it has to be the drive shaft not engaging into the bottom of the distributor.

After the distributor is there I usually "bump" the motor w/ the starter to get it to drop, or I just keep lifting the distributor off the cam gear, rephase the rotor and drop it in until it engages.

Can you pull the driveshaft out? (sometimes people don't use the collar that keeps the driveshaft from accidentally coming out)

I made sure I kept the collar on the shaft when I put the engine together. Ill get somebody to bump the motor for me and let you know what happens

Flat side up should be fine....a 1/2" is a lot to be off.

If you set the retaining washer to high, the dist will bottom out on it. Did you check the shaft clearance with the dist in the motor when u built it?

I've had this happen a bunch of times. Leave the car in gear and have someone rock the car forward and backward while you try to push it down and see if that works.

Well I ended up putting some grease down in the hole to center the shaft and it still won't seat. And from looking how far the grease went up the distributor shaft, it tells me that I am engaging the oil shaft somewhat...So my problem is something else...Im completely stumped and ready to set fire to the car:nonono:

And Rick 91GT the retaining clip is low enough, I made sure when I put the motor together,

I've had this issue with the distributor i JUST took out, and the damn thing was a good half inch from going all the way back in. On one i even went so far as to sand down the base of the dissy where it goes into the block because i thought maybe it was too tight. I think on that particular one we used a pry bar on the crank pulley bolt and got it to seat by turning the engine over a little.

Uusally you just have to bump the starter a bit to get the gears to fully engage. If you've already checked the housing itself and the gear height, I strongly suspect the gear itself is the wrong one. I thought they were all the same, but maybe not. Maybe try something like taking the gear all the way off and see if just the housing and shaft go in alright. If so, the gear is the problem.

Uusally you just have to bump the starter a bit to get the gears to fully engage. If you've already checked the housing itself and the gear height, I strongly suspect the gear itself is the wrong one. I thought they were all the same, but maybe not. Maybe try something like taking the gear all the way off and see if just the housing and shaft go in alright. If so, the gear is the problem.

Thats a pretty good idea, Ill do that and get back with you guys...

I found out theat the Holley Street Dominator intake that im using on the motor was rubbing on the base of the dizzy and not letting it go down all the way...I shaved off a little of the intake and it dropped right in after I bumped the motor over a little bit

Thanks for all your help guys. I was about ready to drop the pan and put another oil shaft in...Glad I didnt