Ditching my P1SC... going turbo..

Trav4011

Jan 3, 2006
I am completely miserable with my Procharger. I've had it installed for roughly 2 weeks now, and it's been nothing but trouble. The back AND front seals are leaking, the belt slips (when I can even keep it on). I've tried shimming the bracket.. I've tried 3 different brands of belts.. nothing helps. I think the problem is not so much with alignment, but with a crappy bracket design. I noticed rubbing from my factory idler (directly behind the bracket/blower) on the bracket after several hard pulls. This tells me that the bracket is flexing under load. Hell, I can grab the blower with my hand, and move it if I push hard enough. There's just not enough support/bolts holding it on if you ask me. A few 10 and 12mm bolts just doesn't cut it.. There should be cross bracing on the bracket as well.. instead of just a flat piece. I did manage to click off a 12.50 pass at 114mph with a 11.5:1 A/F and very conservative timing.. But, I tossed a belt off trying to make a backup pass. Now, the seals are leaking... So, I've had it.. I sold it on Ebay at a huge loss, and it's being yanked off this week.

I am going to design a turbo setup to replace the blower. I design turbo systems for Nissan platforms for a living, so this will be fun for me. I've ordered the following..

Master Power T70/P-trim (.84 A/R undivided exhaust housing, .70 A/R compressor cover)
HKS 50mm wastegate (7psi spring)
Greddy Type R blow off valve
Various lengths of 316L stainless 2.5" schedule 10 pipe
Various 90* and 45* 316L stainless 2.5" schedule 10 elbows
Spearco bar and plate intercooler (12"x22"x3" core)
Various 4", 3" and 2.5" 18 guage tubing/bends (intercooler piping)
Various silicone reducers/straights with T-bolt clamps
Custom Water-Jet 4.6 316L stainless exhaust manifold flanges

This will be a cool project.. that I'll work on a little at a time. I'll post pics and details as I go along. I may even offer some bits/pieces to the general public when I get a chance. :) But, that's a long ways out.. No one makes an "affordable" tuner turbo kit for the 4.6.. I find that odd.. Just by looking at the car, I think I will be able to design a fairly simple setup, using very strong low carbon schedule 10 stainless. It should be very durable.. and I think the T70/P-trim combo will work well with the 4.6.

Travis

• Sponsors (?)

this sounds like a great idea. I've been wanting a kenne bell but i want to get a turbo set up because i believe i can piece one together for a lot cheaper than buying a complete kenne bell set up. I was just wondering how much will you be spending on the turbo kit by the time you are done?

HP makes good TT kits. Delete the parts on the order that you want to fab yourself, and bam, an affordable tuner kit. :nice:

Any case, good luck, and don't be like 90% of the other people and never post here again. Keep us updated! :cheers:

sgarlic said:
HP makes good TT kits. Delete the parts on the order that you want to fab yourself, and bam, an affordable tuner kit. :nice:

Any case, good luck, and don't be like 90% of the other people and never post here again. Keep us updated! :cheers:
Do you have a link to their website?

RedGTvert said:
Why you giving up so quickly? Was this a new blower or a used one.

Trust me, anyone who knows me, will tell you that I'm known for doing creative, and difficult things.. but, I know when I've been had. The design of this supercharger kit SUCKS. There's no other way around it... I could redesign a bracket.. but, why should I? This is what you pay Procharger thousands of dollars for.. You pay for R&D.. so you shouldn't have to go through this crap.

Also, I feel more comfortable around turbochargers.. as I said, I do it for a living.. so I've got a lot of knowledge and experience with setting up a good turbo system.

Travis

Turbo's are nice, I have been thinking of putting one on my 4V. Downside-pricey, but I'd be enterested in your set-up. Turbo Technologies is local to me but they are pricey. I like that a turbo only makes boost when the engine demands it. I have a 05 Dodge SRT-4 with ST II upgrade as my daily driver. I must say this little 2.4L hauls ass:shrug: and has embarassed a few Stangs and mid 90's Z-28's to boot. Sorry to say and hate to admit it but this little car is a blast to drive. My Cobra powered Stang just doesn't seem that fast anymore since I bought this car. I need a turbo to make it faster...LOL.
Scott

Turbocharging can be done for about the same cost as supercharging.. It's just that the companys making kits are making a TON of money off of them. ;) I hope to open some eyes as far as bang for the buck with this setup. Turbochargers have a leg up on superchargers in the power department. They're generally more efficient (compressor wheel design), and unlike a blower.. they don't rob engine horsepower to generate boost pressure. The biggest downside is routing the exhaust system. But, I have some creative ideas which I think will work out great.

Travis