DIY air-to-water

bobc83

Jul 31, 2007
Normal,IL
I was hoping to start a thread to ask questions and get information for making my own, simple, air-to-water intercooler system for the 03 GT with a V-1 Vortech setup.

P5100129.jpg

I'm trying to avoid going to a blow-thru setup for the simplicity of the entire project.

Parts:

Vortech powercooler unit
water pump
heat exchanger
Tank
lines/wires/etc

I was hoping to find a Powercooler unit either new or used, then use my own tank,pump and heat exchanger. I was thinking I could use a 03/04 cobra bosch pump and heat exchanger, and perhaps save a few dollars picking up somethings like the exchanger used. I just haven't found a good Powercooler unit alone for sale yet. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

Very nice clean install.

I'd say go for an air-to-air setup. The air to water isn't nearly as effective when the water isnt ice cold. So, are you gonna fill it with ice every day...or every day you want to push it? Seems that would get old quickly. When I was in the market for a SC that was the advice I was given. Take it for what it's worth...and best of luck.

The ice surely is a plus, but I don't think needed for everyday efficiency. I see guys at the track using ice to get the intake temps below ambient temperature. Vortech uses a recirculating water system for cooling, and I'm confident they have done testing. I am doing research on the everyday efficiency right now.
I do understand what you are saying, and that's exactly why I wanted to start this. Thanks for the info!