do any of you know .... if you in an accident

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
and you car was totaled and you have an aftermarket K member, would your auto ins. companies not cover it?

i heard this on the mustang sites a while back, especially from one member but i cant remember exactly who or if he still posts.

anyway, does anyone know for sure about this? if not where do you think i can find this info?

thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

State Farm dropped me when they found out I had a K member in my old 93 notch. I know some companies won't pay out if they see one on the car, and the accident is related to it somehow. It's the only reason I don't have one on my 01.

The less the insurance company knows, the better. State Farm crapped a brick when they found out I had installed gears, exhaust, springs, and aftermarket tune on my GT. Since these aren't factory items, they wouldn't insure the car. I finally got dropped off the policy (it was my parents at the time!) because I had bought a '70 Ford Galaxie to cruise around in. It was a huge slow boat with a slow huge motor. When she asked me if it was going to be used for racing, I laughed my azz off and said sure why not. That was all it took. They didn't think it was a joke. I went with Progressive because they don't seem to care. They are also the cheapest I could find.

well, that is the only reason i dont have the k member too. i guess its going to stay that way.:( i am in the middle of switching to a new ins. company right now. i have to get my car inspected now and im not sure what they are looking for.

hopefully they are just looking for cosmetic damage, isnt that what they usually look for? i dont know if they look under the car and not sure if they will get upset when they see the long tubes and exhaust.

its pretty bad that exhaust mods would make a difference to an ins. company...that dont make sence.:shrug:

I believe those inspections are for cosmetic purposes, I think if I remember correctly, they just walk around and take alot of pictures, so you can't try to get paid for old damage. Not 100% sure, but I think that's the case.

Yeah thats what they did when i got mine. They just take a pic from the front, the sides and rear and they took a picture of the sticker inside the driver side door. I have progressive and from what i read in the paperwork they gave me there is nothing about them being able to refuse to pay if youve installed aftermarket parts unless you are racing the car. I think that is likely why the people who had state farm were dropped when they saw those parts. The company assumed the car was being used for racing and dropped them from the policy.

and you car was totaled and you have an aftermarket K member, would your auto ins. companies not cover it?

i heard this on the mustang sites a while back, especially from one member but i cant remember exactly who or if he still posts.

anyway, does anyone know for sure about this? if not where do you think i can find this info?

thanks guys!
me :) from what I found out through multiple ins agencys it is up to them, best thing to do is to call up your inquiring agency and asking them if certain modifications are permitted

i dont know if they look under the car and not sure if they will get upset when they see the long tubes and exhaust.

its pretty bad that exhaust mods would make a difference to an ins. company...that dont make sence.:shrug:
because it's considered a 'performance' mod, higher hp= higher price and more of a risk to speed from point a to point b

I believe those inspections are for cosmetic purposes
main purpose is to see what you are driving around in as far is what the car looks like and what is done to it

It depends on your coverage and your insurance company. My policy states that as long as the aftermarket part is installed by an authorized Ford technician (installed by the dealership) then it will be covered under the policy. So any aftermarket part that cost more than my deductible, got put on/installed at the dealership.

well, god for bid, i ever crash it, but its nice to know these things. it seems to be a very touchy subject.

i can understand the k member as it changes the cars structure, but i dont think most companies care about the normal aftermarket bolt ons....hopefully!

however, when i get the blower and motor in, i will be looking for additional coverage from an outside ins. company that covers modded and show cars. hope i can find something like that. from what i understand they are out there.

thanks for the info guys.

I found insurance to be more of your credit, plus the chances of your car being stolen. Even family cars are fast these days. I looked at a '06 4cyl Hyundai Tiburon for daily driver use. The full coverage on it was $50 more a month than my '02 GT. Same coverage, with $500 deductible. They said the Tiburon is on their most stolen list. So are 2005+ Mustangs. The area where you live probably has something to do with it too.