Do gears effect the engine?

rcmustang17

Sep 22, 2007
I have heard that a larger gear will put more strain on an engine since it will be turning at a higher RPM. Is this true? I have an auto and really want 4.10's but I want to know if they will wear my engine faster then 3.73's? Does this make any sense?

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard that a larger gear will put more strain on an engine since it will be turning at a higher RPM. Is this true? I have an auto and really want 4.10's but I want to know if they will wear my engine faster then 3.73's? Does this make any sense?

I suppose some would equate higher revs to more wear but I personally wouldn't give it a second thought. I went with 4:10's and changed to the 3:73's when I put the S/C on.

I can see where one might think this is true, but I have never seen or heard any evidence to support or deny this.

That being said, gears are one of, if not the best, bang for your buck you can do to the 'Stang.

The general rule of thumb is...auto do 4.10's, manual do 3.73's. It all depends on what your goals are for the car. Figure out your plan and get some gears that fit into it.

Never given much thought to your Q :shrug:

But ... It is a good Q :nice:

We tend to judge wear and tear by miles on the clock :)

However

Sure ... Steeper gears make the motor turn over more
so
You could say it will be exposed to more use

Then again ... The steeper ratio will take some load off things

So ... One could say the motor is not working as hard as before ;)

Grady

The only thing that's gong to affect the engine, is the way you drive the car afterwards. You swap the gears out, for better acceleration. Better acceleration means you're going to be on it more....thus driving it harder. Driving a car hard, shortens its life span. The end! :)