Do gears make your car slower top end?

• Sponsors (?)

jstreet0204 said:
I assume you were hitting the bottle when you did this. If not, allow me to be the first to call :bs:

By assuming nitrous will increase top end at such a speed, you automatically disqualify your automotive knowledge and hence your BS claim is moot. Do you even know what n2o would do to a motor at 6grand thats not even accelerating?

If you really dont believe it, I'll gladly take you for a ride if youd like to rent out a track. Granted, I probably wouldnt believe it either unless I was driving and saw and felt it slowly bobbing off the rev limiter for myself.

triggz said:
By assuming nitrous will increase top end at such a speed, you automatically disqualify your automotive knowledge and hence your BS claim is moot. Do you even know what n2o would do to a motor at 6grand thats not even accelerating?

If you really dont believe it, I'll gladly take you for a ride if youd like to rent out a track. Granted, I probably wouldnt believe it either unless I was driving and saw and felt it slowly bobbing off the rev limiter for myself.

1) You would be foolish to discount my automotive knowledge...

2) The n20 would help you get there, which is the hardest part

3) The :bs: flag still stands. Without the gas, I don't see you having the mods in your sig to get you there.

since you car is an auto I am not sure how hard 4th gear can be pushed. I don't have an auto stang but I have had auto camaro's with 700r4's and 4l60's. very different in overdive than a 5 speed. you will get full throttle kick downs. not sure how ford as delt with this. moral of this story is don't take everthing the manual guys tell you as verbatim unless they have owned and auto as well.

3rd is your 1:1 gear and all the autos I have driven will run that gear to redline ant full throttle. this give you 112mph with 4.10's. now if you can redline 4th gear you could go 167 just not sure it will let you.

lower gears give you more mechanical advantage thus to a given speed it will be faster. they lower you theoretical top speed though. the reality is though if you never drive at those speeds who cares. you whant your car to be faster where you drive it. if you don't drive over 110 very much get 4.10's. 75mph is 2700rpm with 4.10's.

I am asuming anybody who bought an auto was not worreid about 150mph+ or they probably would not have bought an auto. Like I said I have never tried to push one of the 4r70's hard in overdive I just know other auto's I have had had issues there. they did make aftermarket parts to help this but it did not eliminate it completely.

just some guy said:
wow, noobs NEVER change.

you are retarded if you say 0-140 is faster with stock gears than with 3.90s, 4.10s, 4.30s.

I think what was said was 111 to 140 would pull harder with stock gears.

ponysarepretty said:
you are pulling less hard from 111-140 mph

so you will pull harder from 0-39 mph, 49-72, 90-111, 140+ with 4.10s

This is true, since the car 4:10's will be at the bottom of the overdrive gear with a final drive ratio of about 2.75 while the car with the stock gears is just getting into the power band around 4800 rpm and has a final drive ratio of 3.27 since it is in it 1 to 1 gear.

The car with 4:10's would have gotten to 111 quicker though and had some time to spare.