Do I need a Chip?!

jtstang89

Feb 28, 2004
Oklahoma
OK guys..I'm about 2 days away from getting my car back with the 4.10s. I've been reading a lot of MM&FF lately, and I've seen a lot of people write questions that say that their cars are shifting way too early with the 4.10s. Everyone with this problem is driving a Modular Stang...but it kinda got me worried. Will I need to buy a chip because of low shift points, or will my car run fine?...I really don't want to have to buy a $200 chip. Thanks for any help. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

As long as it isn't bothering you in your current position and you dont want to spend the extra money... dont. I'm sure it'd help some, but as long as you dont mind the way it is now, stick with it til you have the cash or desire to spend the extra cash = P

I don't think a chip for your car would really do much for the shifting points. Besides, if that is your concern, why not just stretch out the cable a bit ? (Remove the cable from the throttle body, undo the retainer clip, pull the cable out a little bit-less than 1/4 of an inch, put the clip back in while still holding the cable stretched out, and put it back on the throttle body) Then you can take it for a spin and fine tune the adjustments to your liking. I did the same thing on my ex's GT and with 3:73's in it, it didn't shift until just about 4,500 in any gear. :D

Abo:taco:ely NOT...You will NOT need a chip simply because your AOD transmission is not electronically equipt...so your shiftpoints and where it shifts has nothing to do with a chip like the later AODE model mustangs...what you will have to due is pull the kick down cable out more and this could be done with putting the gas paddle all the way down to the floor and having another person adjust the cable...Chips are a waste of money on stock FOX body stangs...

Highbredcloud said:
Abo:taco:ely NOT...You will NOT need a chip simply because your AOD transmission is not electronically equipt...so your shiftpoints and where it shifts has nothing to do with a chip like the later AODE model mustangs...what you will have to due is pull the kick down cable out more and this could be done with putting the gas paddle all the way down to the floor and having another person adjust the cable...Chips are a waste of money on stock FOX body stangs...

Exactly...they started the electronically controlled shifts in 94...you will be fine...and do not need a chip...

i would not mess with that cable unless it is out of adjustment, and still don't touch it. take it to a tranny shop to do that. if it is out of adjustment for too long, your tranny will be nothing but trash.