Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Touring23

Founding Member
Dec 29, 2001
Washington
IMG_1817.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

There has been a good bit of talk about it over the years ;)

Some say it does nothing :shrug:

I lost mine a couple of years ago and saw my temps go up :(

Then again ... I live in Texas :D

Grady

Grady hit the nail on the head as usual.

If you live in a hot climate, you're probably going to want to keep it on (it's not like it's a nuisance or an eye sore...no one will ever see it)

If you live where I do...it really doesn't matter until you get a day that is >100 F

Agreed with all the wise-folk ahead of me. Mine came without that thing and I'd run a bit hot on the highway (rather, I wouldnt cool off on the highway). It was 12 bucks at the dealer (or 15 from LRS) and it does help. I'd note that it helped aesthetics on my 94. But I have a molded black piece that flanks either side of the air-dam you depicted - you don't seem to have those two ears.

You could get creative with making something nice. I did on the fox and I like how it turned out. I fabbed up what I considered to be an old-school Mach 1 style spoiler for the 94. But I couldnt get it to not drag, nor could I mold the sides to look right (I had it taper up on the corners of the car and try to mimic the little ears that I have and you don't). Anyhow, that was neither here nor there.

Good luck.

I took mine off YEARS ago and have never had a problem with temps, even on multiple trips to Eastern Washington, Reno and California through temps upwards of 100*.

Just curious, where in WA are you?

For you folks in hot climates with no air dam, I'm curious what temps you see without the air dam (I think our definition of what's 'hot' is a point of ambiguity).

For instance, I consider anything over 195*F to be getting warm (whereas I feel other folks don't sweat even 230*F). I'd be surprised if someone can run through triple-digit ambient-heat and keep the car at 195*F without the air dam.

For you folks in hot climates with no air dam, I'm curious what temps you see without the air dam (I think our definition of what's 'hot' is a point of ambiguity).

For instance, I consider anything over 195*F to be getting warm (whereas I feel other folks don't sweat even 230*F). I'd be surprised if someone can run through triple-digit ambient-heat and keep the car at 195*F without the air dam.

For the people that aren't having any problems with the dam removed, it would also be nice to know if there's an aftermarket rad playing into the equation

Think of it this way:

Ford made over 5000 SN95's.. They're charging us $12 for one, so let's say it's costing them $2 to make one [damn child labor]; that's $10,000 just for a little piece of plastic that some people call "useless". To Ford that's $10,000 lost. I doubt Ford would say "Hey, this doesn't do anything but lets spend $10,000 just to put a piece of useless plastic here".

Follow my drift? Companies wouldn't do that if it didn't serve a purpose. It'd be a loss on their part.

Think of it this way:

Ford made over 5000 SN95's.. They're charging us $12 for one, so let's say it's costing them $2 to make one [damn child labor]; that's $10,000 just for a little piece of plastic that some people call "useless". To Ford that's $10,000 lost. I doubt Ford would say "Hey, this doesn't do anything but lets spend $10,000 just to put a piece of useless plastic here".

Follow my drift? Companies wouldn't do that if it didn't serve a purpose. It'd be a loss on their part.

Same reason the Strut Tower Bar is there despite what some may say about how useless it is.

This is a FACT...WIth my XENON front chin on, the car runs hot at HIGHWAY speeds instead of cooling...the chin hangs lower than the deflector. With the chin off the car runs cooler since the deflector is exposed...You need it in hot weather.
RC

Mine does the same, and I'm NOT in a hot climate. I screwed a peice of plastic on mine to make it lower than the xenon and it helped a little.

You can see it in this pic:

31610.jpg

With the Tweecer, I usually saw 195-205 driving across town during the summer. Of course it would spike sometimes while sitting at the horrible long Tucson lights. But I also modified my fan switch temps so the fan probably kept it down in the traffic.