Do-It-Yourself Garage

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
I do not know if these types of things are available elsewhere, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the idea.

Here in Salt Lake City, a new type of service garage has opened up. Their website can be found at The Wrench-It Center | Do-It-Yourself Vehicle Repair.

Shop.jpg

They will let you bring your car in, and use different "bays" to perform work. The type of bay will determine the hourly rate.

So, according to their site, the pricing is like this:

BAY, EQUIPMENT & TOOL RATES
Open bay $12/hr
Low-rise lift $15/hr
4-Post lift $18/hr
Overnight Storage FREE
Tire machines $10/hr
Grinder $5/use
Solvent tank $5/use
Specialty tools $2.50/hr-$5.00/hr

They have common tools available to use, and apparently you could leave your car there overnight for extended projects.

It seems like a pretty good idea, and for someone like me that does not have access to a lift, it seems like a great place to do a clutch swap.

What do you all think of the idea? Would you use a place like this?

• Sponsors (?)

We have one of those near me, and it's ungodly expensive. I rarely ever see anyone there actually. If they had a tire machine in there that I could use to mount the new 44" tires for my truck, I would spend the money.

I think that is a very good idea. I had something like this where I once lived except it was called the "Wash'n'Wrench". I changed a couple of axle seals in my diff when I was in college many moons ago at this place. Everything was going good until the guy next to me started washing his car and blowing water into my diff.:rolleyes:. It would have been better if they would have seperated the wash from the wrench side buy a solid wall, but hey it served its purpose.

...What do you all think of the idea? Would you use a place like this?...

Seems like a really good idea, especially for those who need access to a lift.

I would definitely visit a place like that if one was close by.

However, I would be wary of leaving any vehicles or personally owned tools unattended overnight. Many of us are unfortunately familiar with the shady types who like to "borrow" things and fail to return them.

Seems like a really good idea, especially for those who need access to a lift.

I would definitely visit a place like that if one was close by.

However, I would be wary of leaving any vehicles or personally owned tools unattended overnight. Many of us are unfortunately familiar with the shady types who like to "borrow" things and fail to return them.

There's one on Ford Road, west of Wayne. Not sure if it's still around, but I saw it last summer.

We have something very similar to that here on Fort Hood. Pay like $10 and you can use their lifts and basically any tools available. I've still yet to completely scope the place out.

Well, apparently they have a site.
++ Fort Hood FMWR ++ Sprocket Auto Crafts

You are missing out. I spent many hours and days there when I was at Ft. Hood. They also have a welding shop, a/c shop and do your inspections there.

That sounds like an insurance nightmare for the owner of the business. I guess at times it would be nice to be able to use a lift as a customer, but I wouldnt touch that business model with a 10ft pole.

You will have a bunch of yahoos ruining your tools, hurting themselves or others, and then you getting sued. No thank you.