Do v-8 struts work on our cars?

DougNuts

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2000
Georgetown Ky
Are there any differences in the spindle mount on 4 cylinder cars? I was thinking about buying the bullitt kit for my brothers 89 but I seem to recall reading that the front mount is different. Can I install the bullitt tokicos?

• Sponsors (?)

I am pretty sure the 4cyl spindle is wider, meaning you couldn't shim them to fit.
The shim kit is probably for putting 4cyl struts on a V8, which would work out great for drag racing.

bhuff30 said:
I am pretty sure the 4cyl spindle is wider, meaning you couldn't shim them to fit.
The shim kit is probably for putting 4cyl struts on a V8, which would work out great for drag racing.

Yep, I found the website again and sure enough, the v-8s have skinnier mounting locations than the 4 cylinders. Looks like if he decides to keep it, we'll just upgrade to SN95 spindles. :shrug:

93 teal terror said:
Don't quote me on this, but I believe some people have used spacers to fill the gap of the wider spindle. Although as much load is being put through there, I sure wouldn't want to be riding like that.

the 2.3 spindles are wider then the 5.0 spindles. so the 5.0 struts WILL NOT FIT ON THE 2.3 SPINDLES, but the 2.3 struts will fit the 5.0 spindle and you dont really need to washer them out you can just impact gun the spindles bolts on and pinch the flanges together if you dont want to mess with the washers.

Just a word of advice, yes as every one is stating the mounting tab area is thinner on the V8 spindels then on the 4 cyl. spindles. I am doing this swap currently. Also I ran it a problem with the new struts I'm installng. I'm installng new KYB GR2 struts and the one hole is slightly off. This is very frustrating.

mmartin6 said:
Just a word of advice, yes as every one is stating the mounting tab area is thinner on the V8 spindels then on the 4 cyl. spindles. I am doing this swap currently. Also I ran it a problem with the new struts I'm installng. I'm installng new KYB GR2 struts and the one hole is slightly off. This is very frustrating.

The mounting holes are spaced differently also from the 4cyl and V8 models. I had the same problem before upgrading to the SN95 spindles.