dodge, wish jeep would go elsewere

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
st.louis mo 314
Looking to replace the DD with a new car. I am not a Dodge fan at all...very much against the brand for the most part. The only thing is I love the Jeep line. That said looking at 08-09 liberty's. Test drove one, liked it for the most part...the only big reason is they offer a lifetime warranty on the powertrain and that is nice since its all dodge's junk...I have researched and the 3.7 is supposed to be a solid motor just noisy and bad mpg (but in the lower end of its class of SUV...not the worst)....why did they have to get rid of the I6 4.0????

Anyway, of course we all read the news they are hurting for sales...then they had a big writeup that they would have up to $6k rebates on 08's and yadda yadda yadda. Went Sat. before the sale and they were at 2,500 in rebates...was not interested in the lib at that level but test drove and got a quote on the DD. Called today when the "huge rebates were to hit" and it is now at a 2,000 rebate. I understand the offer would vary but $500 less on 08's and not even close to what is hyped...I mean was going to buy if it was at 3,500-4,000...not even expecting the lib to be at 6k. Hell Ford is offering 3k on the Fusion I am looking at instead. Just seems like Dodge wants to talk about selling cars instead of selling cars. I know its my own cheap arse-ness.

Wife loves the liberty and I do love Jeeps and like the thing. I also love the Fusion but with a I4 manual...that the wife is refusing to learn to drive kinda forcing the liberty.

Just a rant...I hate car shopping. Guess I will hold out until Aug. when the 10's start showing up unless better rebates show up. Very torn between the Fusion and Lib.

• Sponsors (?)

I love/hate my jeep. It's been very dependable and it's fun to drive. The seats are awesome. It just has some weird quirks, probably related to the "dodge junk" in it. I probably won't be getting another one though. I would def go with the fusion over a jeep. When spring rolls around I plan on trading mine in for a Mazda 6, which is the same thing as the Fusion.

I love/hate my jeep. It's been very dependable and it's fun to drive. The seats are awesome. It just has some weird quirks, probably related to the "dodge junk" in it. I probably won't be getting another one though. I would def go with the fusion over a jeep. When spring rolls around I plan on trading mine in for a Mazda 6, which is the same thing as the Fusion.

probes made me fall in love with the mazda 6 and 3

i would check out the mercury milan too. same as the fusion but slightly nicer in the looks department but the same price. she might like it better than the fusion

I also have a love/hate relationship with my jeep. The motor/tranny and drive train are solid as a rock, and its a monster offroad and in the snow. That being said, it has more electronic quirks and glitches than anything ive ever driven. I've owned it a year and i cant count on both hands how many wiring related problems ive had with it, and its only an '00.

I do like the Liberty the only thing I dont like is the motor sounds kinda rough...ish with crappy mpg 15/21 out of a 210hp 235ftlb v6 just makes me ask really...you could not get more out of it (it is heavy at 4200+lbs). It just sums up my thinking what Dodge has to offer...great style with 10-15yr old tech that just seems close enough but not yet...just right. I am still bitter the 4.0 is gone. Buddy and I lived out of a 99 Cherokee classic when we camped/backpacked across the entire western US in 99.

I love the way the Liberty looks and the price is cheaper than the AWD Edge we would be looking at as a direct comparo. I just find it a damn joke that as much as they say they are hurting and they "release" news of a big sale and its LESS than what is offered a week prior and you can not find anything even close to what they are saying is a "great" deal. When your competition (Ford) is offering far more on an comparable product (better all around IMHO) that is selling better to start with. Its as if they want to talk tough about selling but when an offer is released that would cause a stamped its...oh just kidding :rlaugh: in that I will take my business some place else.

right now its going down like this in order of purchase depending on rebates (will not buy a Jeep without a very solid rebate at $3500 as a min).

1.Liberty sport 4x4. Prob end up waiting until Aug. to see how bad things get for the LLC and how bad they want to move the 09 stock.

VERY CLOSE 2nd. Fusion SE I4 auto and Sync(gave up on the manual so the wife can drive it). 3k in rebates at this time on 08's. I assume 09's will be getting some GREAT rebates as the redesign 10' model is coming.

3. Edge AWD base model...just really do not want to spend 25k. Love the style and everything about this automobile...trade off is I bet its not 1/2 the suv the Liberty is. On the edge as to if we want to spend the money.

Way to cheap to pay 25k on the edge and why the liberty is #1 at this point want a all weather/condition 4x4 as we are planning on having a baby in the next year. Would be great to take camping and what not for a family camping trip/mild 4x4 toy.

What ever we buy it will be kept for at least 10yrs...with the Jeep probably as a beater until the doors fall off due to the lifetime powertrain warranty.