Does Anyone Own a Corner Carver

tcosper

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2001
New Jersey
I love mustangs (even though I am without currently). Unfortunately I will not be buying anything new, so the 300hp '05 is out. What I am really interested in is picking up a V6 that's a few years old and making it a total road master (in terms of handling).
Has anyone done this? How hard was it to do? Stories of handling? Speed is great, but I can't afford a ticket for 110 in a 55. I could however get away with doing 65mph on a 30mph off ramp. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

get some stiff springs, tokiko shock strut brace, thicker sway bars, subframe connectors, need bigger wheels (sticky tires), tloc so you don't do the one wheel slide around the corner... that should get you any where at whatever speed you wants pretty much

The parts list should look something like this.
Wheels + Tires
Springs + Shocks/Struts
C/C Plates
Subframe Connectors
Sway Bars
T-Lok

All together you're lookin at least $2,000 worth of goodies. Mustangs are not the best handling cars on the road.

My dad's '00 GT (recently traded for an '85 vette, yeah I know) handled like an absolute monster. I think he said he had 7 grand into mods by the time he got rid of it, including 1 K&N (the only engine mod besides the blowmasters that were on it when he got it) and a $400+ Recaro. Suspension mods were:
Kuhmo ecsta MX on the stock 17inch GT wheels
H&R progressive rate springs ( they only lowered the car about half an inch but they were over twice as stiff)
Bilstein struts ( Cheapest to order stock '03 cobra struts)
Bilstein shocks
Maximum Motorsports CC plates, K member, full length subframe connectors
Custom made 4 point roll cage

People will tell you that you can't make a Mustang handle good, that it'll always be a drag car. They're full of ****. (not a refrence to the post above mine) Don't lower it to much, get stiff as springs, stiffen the chassis.

Lowering springs (progressive)
shocks/struts
Upper and lower rear control arms
Rear sway bar and/or Steeda's swaybar add-on
Gear/T-lok
BIG sticky, grippy tires
Panhard bar
Full-length sub frame connectors
Front upper/lower control arms
Beefier sway bar
Front and Rear shock/strut tower braces
Steeda x-2 ball joints
Offset steering bushing
MM 4-Point K-Member Brace
Caster/Camber Plate - depending on drop of car
Front Swaybar bushings
Front Swaybar end link bushing kit
Urethane bushings and spring seats all around.

That should pretty much get youaround the turns pretty damned good with a solid rear axle for aorund $2000+.

Anytime you lower your car, the springs (progressive) would make the ride comfort a little more harsh. Seeing that the springs lowere the car, the less amount of space the springs have to deaden the bumps. Progressive rate springs will be the best bet for maximum ride comfort.

A decent set of adjustable shicks struts will also allow you to dial-in that number for a balance btween comfort and performance. The softer teh ride, the less the performance.

All the other stuff I listed would help to make your car corner like it is on rails, maintain suspension geometry, keep the tires perfectly aligned, the rear axle centrally located, and the responsiveness almost at perfection.

I went with Steeda prog-rate springs (1.3" drop), and Tokico non-adjustable shocks/struts, and some Steeda C/C plates as a package. I re-used the spring seats as well (I'm cheap right now). But I'll tell ya, that 1.3" drop lowered the car's gravity enough that the performance increase was amazing! I now take on and off ramps to the highways at 70mph. :nice:

get a Focus. no joke.

as far as handling...

my stock SVT Focus>>>>>>>>>my moddified GT

you can carve corners with the Focus, then keep it as a daily driver when you get a new Mustang. some springs and shocks on a Focus will outhandle a Mustang with the same. the Focus platform is very good for handling.

My car handles very very well now, but I really need chassis stiffening. I'll get the full length subs and STB ASAP. Shocks, springs and CCs make one hell of a difference. Do those and rims/tires before anything else.

The only downside is my car is also VERY low and scrapes things very easily. Really makes you think about where you can drive... luckily it doesnt bother me because I'm gradually turning mine into a summer street car / weekend road track racer, but if its your daily driver and the roads arent great where you live then think twice about a 2" drop.

The ride is just fine. Better than stock in my opinion because its not all springy and doesnt roll.

nomuffler said:
My dad's '00 GT (recently traded for an '85 vette, yeah I know) handled like an absolute monster. I think he said he had 7 grand into mods by the time he got rid of it, including 1 K&N (the only engine mod besides the blowmasters that were on it when he got it) and a $400+ Recaro. Suspension mods were:
Kuhmo ecsta MX on the stock 17inch GT wheels
H&R progressive rate springs ( they only lowered the car about half an inch but they were over twice as stiff)
Bilstein struts ( Cheapest to order stock '03 cobra struts)
Bilstein shocks
Maximum Motorsports CC plates, K member, full length subframe connectors
Custom made 4 point roll cage

People will tell you that you can't make a Mustang handle good, that it'll always be a drag car. They're full of ****. (not a refrence to the post above mine) Don't lower it to much, get stiff as springs, stiffen the chassis.

What did your dad do with the other $5k? No way that crap cost 7 grand