Does such a valve cover exist?!?!?!?!

arbailey

Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
New Jersey
I'm working on a solution to the age old "oil in the intake manifold" and I had an idea of installing "extra" pcv valves in the valve covers, T them together, and run that T to the upper intake opposite where the factory pcv hose mounts, all while leaving the factory setup in place. HOWEVER, the is one major roadblock. Finding valve covers that will work!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a valve cover that will:

#1) clear 1.6 roller rockers
#2) has a BAFFLED hole in each where a pcv valve can be installed
#3) fits under the stock efi intake
#4) works with stock heads

Does this thing exist or is it a unicorn????????????

• Sponsors (?)

I would think any valve cover would work.Measure the size of the PCV hole on a standard valve cover,get a hole saw bit,and cut that size hole in yours,then add the rubber grommet and PCV valve.You could probably do it all for less than $10.00,and,doing it like that gives you the choice of mouting the PVC where you want it.Just an idea.

I've never seen that fits all those criteria...reason is that a valve cover that is designed to fit under the EFI manifold won't have any holes in it but the oil fill, just like the stock ones. What's wrong w/ running a spacer between the upper and lower? Then you'd be able to run covers that either already have all the holes you need (some of the cast aluminum types, like the ones form Moroso and Ford Racing have bosses to allow custom drilling for an oil fill or PCV, as well as bosses underneath to add a baffle w/ self-tapping screws), and clear the roller rockers.

I was able to clearance the inside of my stock valve covers with a grinder enough to clear a set of bolt-down roller rockers. A good machinist could probably add whatever openings you wanted to the cast aluminum stockers on a drill press. You would have to get creative with the baffling for that, though, like baffling the tubing itself.

joncash said:
I've never seen that fits all those criteria...reason is that a valve cover that is designed to fit under the EFI manifold won't have any holes in it but the oil fill, just like the stock ones.

So the first guy to make a set could make some $$$$?

joncash said:
What's wrong w/ running a spacer between the upper and lower? Then you'd be able to run covers that either already have all the holes you need (some of the cast aluminum types, like the ones form Moroso and Ford Racing have bosses to allow custom drilling for an oil fill or PCV, as well as bosses underneath to add a baffle w/ self-tapping screws), and clear the roller rockers.
I wasn't aware that the Ford Racing v/c's had bosses underneath (the pics only show the tops). I have a 3/8" spacer waiting to go on, but I'm not sure if I'll need a 3/8" or 1".

joncash said:
I was able to clearance the inside of my stock valve covers with a grinder enough to clear a set of bolt-down roller rockers. A good machinist could probably add whatever openings you wanted to the cast aluminum stockers on a drill press. You would have to get creative with the baffling for that, though, like baffling the tubing itself.

I was able to clearance my stockers as well, and I'm sure I could drill a hole in my passenger side v/c myself, my concern is how to add a baffle so oil would not be sucked up into the pcv valve I plan to add.

I guess when I brought this up in the other thread, I failed to mention that I have a box style upper intake. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=637524
Sorry.
I will fix that.

The valve cover I am using on the drivers side may clear the stock upper though? I did not mock it up (or even consider it for that matter). :nonono:

Here is what I have on the passenger side.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M6582B301%20%20%20%20%20%201&comp=LRS

Ford Part Number M6582B301

I did have to remove the baffle, but the pcv breather cap I picked up at the local parts store had a baffle installed in it. The tall pcv breather cap may cause a problem with clearance on the stock upper intake.

I may be able to look at my car a little in the next few days and give you an idea if it may work.
Depends on how much time I have though.
Regardless, I will check it out this weekend, and get as many part numbers as I can as well.

Hope that helps

jason

Just to clear things up...

The valve cover I am using is for a carb'd 302. It will not clear the stock 302 intake (unless you use about a 2" spacer). I did a mock up to check.

jason

joncash said:
These are the ones that I had in mind in my original reply:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M6582E302%20%20%20%20%20%201&comp=LRS
They usually don't need more than a 1" spacer, what's hitting?

Imagine sticking the valve cover pictured above on the drivers side. If there is a 1-2" PCV/Breather sticking up out of that valve cover then odds are that PCV/Breather will be hitting the stock 302 upper intake manifold.

Other than drilling a strategically placed hole in the stock valve cover, I cannot think of a easy way to mount a second PCV on the drivers side.

Maybe someone else can chime in?

jason

PS - I still have some pics I have been meaning to post of my setup. pm me if you don't see them fairly soon. I am easily distracted.

Why don't you just install an evac kit? Welds onto the valve cover, then a hose to the exhaust at an angle will create a vacuum. This will help with the oil in the intake problem.

PoopDawg said:
Why don't you just install an evac kit? Welds onto the valve cover, then a hose to the exhaust at an angle will create a vacuum. This will help with the oil in the intake problem.

The reason I don't do it is that it won't pass emissions.
There may be other reasons too?

Personally, I see that as a hack job for a daily driver. That is just too far from my concept of ideal.
If I had a track only car, I might accept that setup as legit. No, actually I wouldn't.

I would switch to the dark side (carb'd) before running an exhaust evac system.

Just my opinion, hope I didn't piss anyone off. :)
jason

I used a taller valve cover for a while on my car.I pulled the throttle cable bracket off,and ovaled out the mounting holes (where it bolts to the spacer) so I could slide it up a little.Perhaps that may help a little.Only took about 10 minutes to modify the bracket from start to finish.