Does Your Mustang Convertible Top Leak?

JenM423

Sep 22, 2011
The top on my '02 (which I bought a year and a half ago) started out with a small leak, which would cause water to pool in the area where the top folds down into. A few months ago, I noticed the carpet behind the driver's seat was getting wet. After a recent tropical storm, the carpet behind the passenger seat got absolutely drenched and although I sucked out the water with a wet vac and shampooed the carpets, the car still has a slight mildew smell.

I'm trying to figure out if I need a new top, need to fix something on the top, or if this is something I just have to deal with. My brother has a '95 GT and has put two tops on it and says this is just something that I have to deal with and that all Mustang tops leak and cause the car to become completely drenched inside regardless of whether they're brand new or original. That doesn't sound right to me, but who knows? Maybe it is. He swears that it's because my windows don't line up perfectly with the top, but I can assure you that they do. Only the back carpets are getting wet, not the seats, not the headliner, not anything else in the car.

So does your top leak and how badly? Is this a normal thing that can't be avoided with Mustang convertibles?

• Sponsors (?)

My wife's '99 does the exact same thing. the water is coming in at the bottom right/left corner of the rear window...the water pools in the roof well liner and some always leaks out and gets the carpet behind the drivers seat wet. if it rains hard while she's at work and the car is outside it will even leak into the trunk some and get that carpet wet along with the driver & passenger side behind the seat. the top is in great shape but all the places it creases while being put up/down wear out faster. what i have been doing is placing a towel in the well on days i know it's going to rain and that will usually take care of it. I just pull the towel out when she gets home and don't have to worry about that musty smell. when it happend the first time i made sure to leave the windows down on the car each night (i have a garage) for a week to really let everything air out.