Dome Lamp Problem

Mills

Aug 16, 2002
Honolulu, HI
Hi, I've been having an issue for several months that has been intermitent, but lately has been happening more frequently and is becoming annoying. Basically, the interior dome lamp will stay lit on after all the doors/trunk have been closed properly and even while the car is running. Sometimes the light will autoshut off after a few minutes, other times it will stay on the entire time I am driving to my destination. I'm not too big with electrical issues, so if any of you have any advice I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Also, I know some of you might ask, the headlight knob is not turned all the way to the left that will force it to be on.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem i tried everything i was suggested.I even took my door off and it still never went off ..my light actually started to melt because it was so hot from never shutting off.

I didnt take it to ford i should have but didnt so right now i have no dome light.From all i could gather is the dome light switch that is on the door was sticking but i used wd40 ect ect nothing got it to unstick

Is there a timer switch for the dome lights. If it is happening on two of the doors as well as the trunk, that's where I would think the problem lies.

Or try this...

Door Latch Contact Pin/Switch

Part or Service: Door Latch Contact Pin/Switch

Description: This procedure is to fix the dome light and/or chime problem. In this problem the dome light stays on for periods of time accompanied by the chime. The chime is not always present but in some cases it is.

Diagnosis:
Dome light and chime stay on - DRIVERS SIDE Switch
Dome light only stays on - PASSENGER SIDE Switch

95 and later models below
94 and earlier further down

Removal and Reinstallation: Remove the door panel

(My 95 required the removal of the window crank and four Phillips head screws, other years may be different)

Instructions:
Remove the torx screw on the window crank and remove the crank.
Remove the two Phillips head screws on the door pull and remove it from the panel, (be careful not to break the plastic tabs holding it to the door panel).
Remove the third screw, which is under the door pull, holding the panel onto the door.
The forth screw is located on the bottom rear of the carpeted area on the panel.
Pull the door panel up, and slip the holding tabs on the back of the panel out of the door slots.
Carefully peel back the vapor barrier, starting at the back of the door, until you are able to reach into the door latch.
Follow the wire to the pin switch on the located on the bottom of the door latch.
Remove the standard tabbed connector from the pin switch.
Now lock the latch, as if the door was closed and locked.
Rotate the bottom of the pin switch 1/4 turn towards the exterior of the door.
Lower and remove the pin switch from the door latch.
Installation are the reverse of removal.
Note: Don't forget to use the inside door handle to reopen the locked latch before you go to slam the door shut!!!!

I used 3M spray adhesive to enhance/renew the adhesive on the vapor barrier,
Don't forget to line up the door lock pull with the hole in the door panel before slipping the plastic tabs back into the door slots

The Gem Module has nothing to do with the dome light/door chime problem.

The pin switch is usually just gummed up and sticking. A good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol (and patience working the pin in and out) will usually free the pin. DO NOT USE WD-40 it will eventually dry and become gummy; causing the pin to stick, again.

94 and earlier below

Open the door of suspected faulty door switch. The switch is located between the hinges, near the rubber boot hiding the wiring to the door. It's about 1/2" in diameter and just unscrews.
Get a 9/16" socket and unscrew the switch in a counter clockwise direction.
Pull switch out until wires are far enough out to not let them fall back into the hole.
Unplug the connector.
Note: This connector can be a PIA. 5. Service or replace as needed and reinstall.
Don't forget to plug the wires back up, trust me, it's happened. Also, when you unplug the wires, tape them aside with duct tape or something, because if they are in the right mood, they will spring back into the body.

Fixed!

Hey thanks Marvin, this was the fix! Some small differences that were mentioned on the instructions (maybe because mine is a 99), but the overall result is the same. The underlying culprit for this issue is the door ajar switch. I did this fix on both my passenger and driver side doors (both had gunk on the pin/switch). Detailed picture information of how to get to this switch is also available in the service manual. Now the dome light is acting normally.

Next I gotta take care of the sagging seat belt and sticky/stuck throttle :nice:

Mills said:
Hi, I've been having an issue for several months that has been intermitent, but lately has been happening more frequently and is becoming annoying. Basically, the interior dome lamp will stay lit on after all the doors/trunk have been closed properly and even while the car is running. Sometimes the light will autoshut off after a few minutes, other times it will stay on the entire time I am driving to my destination. I'm not too big with electrical issues, so if any of you have any advice I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Also, I know some of you might ask, the headlight knob is not turned all the way to the left that will force it to be on.

Ohh my gosh...what ever is happening with ure domw lights,,,its the same exact thing thats happening to me....mine started happening after installing a car alarm...but i dont understand the procedure of how to dit..im not bog on fixing things...is there a better way of explaining it..thanx

ps..let me know how u fixed ure sagging seat belt

Off the top of my head...

First make sure that your seat belt hasn't taken a turn and flipped itself. check to ensure that the clip by your rear end isn't the culprit in that the belt slides through it smoothly.

You'll have to pull the belt all the way out and feed it back in. Pop off the cover to the floor spool mechanism to make sure it isn't twisted inside of the plastic housing.

Also remove the "T" clip from the rear quarter molding behind your left shoulder and pull the belt all the way out, making sure it isn't twisted in there as well. Use a flashlight to see in there. If you can't see in there, remove the bottom seat cushion of the rear seat. There should be two tabs right on the front bottom edge of the seat. Push them in? and pull out the rear cushion. Next, look for either push pin type bolts, or screw holding in the quarter panel. I know there are a couple hidden behind the seat back. I guess you could fold the seat down to look (I've got a vert - so I don't know).

There should also be a push pin in the door jam as well. I'd go look, but it's frickin -8 degrees out!!!! After you get all the pins/screws, pull the panel up and a little toward the front to remove it. You'll be able to see the other retraction spool now. Check the operation of both spools and for a twisted belt.

If either is a little sticky, try to use what ever it is that Ford used for lubricant. I think they used some sort of grease, but can't be sure. I wouldn't mix grease and WD-40, so take some time to see what it is.

Hope that helps, and glad the other instructions took care of that dome light. I couldn't deal with an always-on dome light!