Drag radials 275/40 on 17x8 rims??

charged9250

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2002
503/808
Hey guys I was wondering is it possible to run a 275/40 drag radial on a 17x8 rim? I know they fit nice and work well on a 17x9 rim, but how would they fit and work on a 17x8 rim? What do you all think? Anyone try this? Got any pics? This is what im running now 245/45.

Thanks Justin
attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

The minimum width rim approved by Nitto is 9" for the 275 555R. The measured rim width is 9.5" according to their website. Take it with a grain of salt though. Mustang guys are into putting over-sized tires on their rims. :rolleyes:

Yeah I was thinking about some Nitto's. I just wanted to see how they would look on a 17x8 rim. I don't mind a little "belly" on the tires, just not a whole lot to where it doen't look good and might rub. Keep the pics and info comming..

so are you tallking bout them fitting on a 8" rim or on the car itself? i know my 275/45/17 yoks barely fit my stock 17x9 rims but the nitto's fit fine :shrug: but then again i was told a 275 is the biggest you can put on a 9" rim so i dont think they will fit i might have 2 tri-bars off a 95 gt for sale here in a month or so if anyone is intrested ?peace

john

468LC said:
It looks fine and tons of people do it.

I ran 275 nitto DRs on an 8" rim all last summer.

Don't even question it anymore, just do it lol.:)

I'll look and see if I have any pics for you.
wow thats hard to beleive but i guess you know tho peace

john

468LC said:
What are you banging your head for? Your car is not even fast enough to need a DR. :rlaugh:

Yes my car is slow. :notnice: Shouldn't DR's only help my slow car?

Now on to the topic... Where does any tire manufacturer suggest, recommend or approve an 8" rim for any of their 275's? There is a science to tire and rim width and matching them up for best performance. Is it different for straight line performance?

Nobody said:
Yes my car is slow. :notnice: Shouldn't DR's only help my slow car?

Now on to the topic... Where does any tire manufacturer suggest, recommend or approve an 8" rim for any of their 275's? There is a science to tire and rim width and matching them up for best performance. Is it different for straight line performance?

Thats a good question, but i've heard that the nitto DR arre not as wide as the regular 275?

Nobody, I am not going to sit here and explain something that could be searched and also as I said has been done for ever. The tire handles beyond 99% of anyones driving abilities on an 8" wheel aired up to street pressures. I can assure you that you could not tell the difference.